2006 F150 XLT 5.4 Tranny Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 F150 XLT 5.4 Tranny Issue

This just started, driving along and it acts like it just pops out of gear, put it in neutral and back in gear and a moment latter it does the same thing, does it cold or hot. Never had a problem at all with tranny.

Original owner. Has 102,000 miles on it and I love my truck. Had transmission fluid changed at 30 and 60k but not since.

Any advise is appreciated.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:17 PM
Okay I have an update. I changed the filter and added the required fluid to get me back to level after it was hot.

In drive it shifts great to second then shifts great to third but as soon as it wants to go to overdrive it slips like I was putting it in nuetral. Im hoping there is a relitively cheap fix for this to get overdrive working again if not I will have to bite the bullet and pay the tranny man.

I was told by a friend that AAMCO was pretty good in my neck of the woods so I will call them tomorrow.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:20 PM
Im sure you guys have seen this video, this guy is amazing.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by crunchTen24
Okay I have an update. I changed the filter and added the required fluid to get me back to level after it was hot.

In drive it shifts great to second then shifts great to third but as soon as it wants to go to overdrive it slips like I was putting it in nuetral. Im hoping there is a relitively cheap fix for this to get overdrive working again if not I will have to bite the bullet and pay the tranny man.

I was told by a friend that AAMCO was pretty good in my neck of the woods so I will call them tomorrow.
Hey guys does anyone have any thoughts?

called Ford dealer today and they told me they can run the diagnostic for $110 so I'm doing that next week.

I explained to them it shifts great until until it goes into overdrive and then it slips, I have no codes coming up.

Somebody has to know what's going on so if you could chime in I would appreciate it. I don't want to be at the mercy of a technician not wanting to fix a smaller issue and just tell me I need a full rebuild.

Ford

Old 09-25-2017, 12:50 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys. Really helped.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:05 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry, It didn't really look like you were asking for help. I saw that you were taking it to a shop and then posted links to a video and figured you had it. So I kind of disregarded the thread after that since I don't like to step on someone else's job as much as I don't like anyone stepping on mine. I figure the other guys that help out probably did the same.

So, did you not take it to a shop like you said you were going to?

I don't understand I guess...

D

Old 09-25-2017, 11:59 AM
Just saw this, and it sounds like the same issue that my old 2004 F150 w 5.4 motor had. Broken OD servo clip. Search broken OD servo clip and you will see a lengthy write up on how to fix it yourself. Cost me $2.88 for the clip plus a ton of tranny fluid to fix myself. Shop had told me that it needed an entire rebuild.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:10 PM
Here it is. https://www.f150online.com/forums/tr...roke-pics.html

In here, they talk about how to reposition the OD band after reassembly. When I did mine, I put a bottle jack under the OD servo to hold it in place so that I did not have to mess with repositioning the OD band. Whole thing took me maybe 4 hours, and I was really taking my time and paying very close attention because that is the deepest I have ever gone into a tranny.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:03 PM
Well had it rebuilt at AAmco and got the 2 year 24k mile warranty, Cost me $2200 but I have piece of mind.

Shifts good, its been two weeks since the rebuild and they told me to bring it back after two weeks so they can go over it make sure all is good. Only issue I see is it shifts a little hard from 2nd to 3rd. Seems like my MPG went up a bit also as strange as that sounds.

Can the hard shift be adjusted?

Thanks for your reply Unclebubba I appreciate that, if I had seen your post sooner I would have tried that for sure.