2008 F150 Overdrive band or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 F150 Overdrive band or something else?

Bought the truck used 6 months ago. For first 5 months the truck randomly "flare" or "hit neutral" at about 1500 rpm or 25 mph. Then....it started getting worse. Went from once every couple days to every day. Then...it got way worse. Now, once it hits 25 mph the truck pretty much hits neutral and revs to the moon and wont go anywhere. If i turn overdrive off it runs perfect. Took it to a dealer and ran codes....nothing.

Ive read different scenarios on hete but none were exactly like mine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Daniel

Old 05-24-2017, 02:51 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
It could be a couple of things. Start out troubleshooting by putting it in manual 2nd gear. Run the truck up until the rpm's are high enough to be noticeable and let off the gas. What does it do? Does it neutral and idle down, or does it use the engine to slow down the truck?

Lets start there.
D

Old 05-24-2017, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
It could be a couple of things. Start out troubleshooting by putting it in manual 2nd gear. Run the truck up until the rpm's are high enough to be noticeable and let off the gas. What does it do? Does it neutral and idle down, or does it use the engine to slow down the truck?

Lets start there.
D
I got it to about 2000 rpms and let off. It held 2000 for about a second then dropped down down to 1000 as the mph came down. Then it held at 1000 rpm. The only thing that felt "odd" to me ws that it held that idle for an extra second or so.

I had a dealer tell me it was overdrive band and that I needed a full trans rebuild and another tell me it was a clip stuck in the valve body. I have zero mechanical experience so not sure on next step.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:06 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I am not understanding clearly. Did it feel like the vehicle was slowing down with the engine? Almost, but not quite, like a manual transmission vehicle. The torque converter being open is going to absorb some of it, but you should definitely feel the engine slowing the vehicle.

If so then the band isn't likely the issue.

I know this might be difficult if you aren't used to doing this kind of thing. What we're looking for is what's called engine braking.

D

Old 05-24-2017, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
I am not understanding clearly. Did it feel like the vehicle was slowing down with the engine? Almost, but not quite, like a manual transmission vehicle. The torque converter being open is going to absorb some of it, but you should definitely feel the engine slowing the vehicle.

If so then the band isn't likely the issue.

I know this might be difficult if you aren't used to doing this kind of thing. What we're looking for is what's called engine braking.

D
Yes. Engine braking for sure.