Transmission shift questions

Old 05-18-2017, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission shift questions

Hey all, I got a few questions about my 2007 f150 4wd. First off I'm overseas for another month so just trying to gather info first. I can't try something and reply back with results yet. When I get back I'll dig into it. Besides replacing shocks and ball joints and steering shaft, I want to tackle a few transmission and driveline issues. Plan on swapping fluid from cooler line method also. Truck runs good 118k I believe and been a good girl besides WI salt rusting it up... One problem I do have that's been like this for awhile is a hard clunk I can not only hear, but feel when its up shifting and down shifting but only seems right around the 25mph mark. Not sure what gear that'd be off top of head but when in traffic or coming through town at a coast, right at 25mph shift, clunk! If I can recall correctly, seems way more noticeable on downshift than up but can feel both Researched few things like reflash from TSBs but seems like that's more common on 04-05 trucks? Also I started to notice before I left due to new road I live on now that when I'm slowing down say 45mph to take sharp turn and immediately up a hill, I hit gas to get it to shift down for speed and seems to lag now before doing so. Filter and some fluid was changed at 80k for good measures and has never smelled burnt even now. I thought about while giving her some TLC to lube up driveshaft splines if it has such. Also for ****s and giggles I've thought about buying a rebuilt valve body and possibly adding a hd VB plate for good measures as I won't have downtime to clean and order parts if need be inside the VB. May not be necessary but just and idea

1 thing is I'm not looking for performance VB like anything similar to Jmod stuff or shift kit or anything due to an Edge programmer being added to it as I've heard not to mix these

So any idea on what trans issues could be?

Old 05-18-2017, 08:56 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Before I would tear into the tranny, I'd check the u-joints and lube the splines.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:24 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Whoever said not to mix a programmer and a good valve body modification shouldn't be giving advice

D

Old 05-19-2017, 05:24 AM
Forgot to mention, when coasting down or upshift before the clunk, almost seems to lag on shift and then when it does, boom.

Ok, I plan on checking them regardless while under there. just seems something to do with shift part.

Couldn't give you specifics on names but have ran across many saying not to mix being that programmer does engine and trans electronically and shift kits or mods do it 'mechanically' and they shouldn't be mixed, possibly do to programmer?not sure. I have 3.55LS gears and do tow some enclosed trailers when need too and 19' glass bass boat on weekends if going out (locally and 4-5 hour trips up north WI) and both have some weight to it. Not very often but will more a little more now. Decided to go with programmer to get some more oomph in that turd of a good girl. So that's what led me to read info about not mixing them. I like firmness but not looking for 1/4 mi performance/tire chirping, more just putting power to ground and a little more if I can to help tow. Aaaand, like everyone else, not wanting it to break down.. lol

Last edited by Wiguyy; 05-19-2017 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:28 AM
Having built, installed and tuned literally thousands of these over the years, I can fill you in on a few things.

There is the potential that your issue is in the transmission. It's not as likely as the driveline, but it is a possibility. If it's in the transmission then what is happening is likely that the tangs on the reverse drum have created clearance into the sun shell. This would affect the shifts into and out of 2nd gear and cause a distinct clunk.

The absolute right way to modify the shifting on these is the opposite of what you have heard. To do it right you have the hardware modified and then adjust the tune to bring it all into line with what you want it to do. Exactly the way the factory does it.

The issue with doing it through just a tune is that this plays with the pressures to extremes. That causes gasket and seal blowouts over time and has been a huge culprit in the failure issue with the forward drum breaking at the snap ring groove.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Go to the people that do it daily and who are not just trying to sell you something.

D

Old 05-19-2017, 11:45 AM
Thank you for the reply and info. I take a lot of that tuner vs tranny with grain of salt and don't believe everything on the net, I just mentioned it because ive come across that. More so I wanted some extra power for engine, if it helps trans then fine but yeah I don't like the pressure thing in trans at same time. I wouldn't mind modding body to make it better, I just didn't know if it would be a good idea without knowing what is going on with this 25mph clunk. My luck, I jmod or what have ya and get a firm shift during that clunk and blows my transmission... ya know, just scenario thing I guess. So if that's the case, pretty internal and trans would have to come apart and replace parts?

What are some ideas or products/tuners to increase engine performance some and not the transmission pressures and mod instead?

Old 05-20-2017, 11:44 AM
Actually, anything that causes the shift into or out of 2nd to be firmer is going to do the same damage to the hard parts once there is a problem. Banging is banging no matter the hammer used.

D

Old 05-20-2017, 06:24 PM
Run er til she pops then I guess!!

Old 06-13-2017, 09:02 AM
Ill be home in 2 weeks! cant wait then I can dig into this damn thing. Plan on lubing up shaft when im doing the rest of suspension stuff. It just seems to predictable at 25mp up and down and seems no one has had this issue. I've read that there is a Reflash for similar thing but this for 04-05 trucks? mine is 07.

Search this Thread