Work or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Work or not?

Ok I know just got here and already I have a question but, I didn't know where else to ask. I have a 98' F150 4x4 4.6 with a 5 speed standard trans, and a 99' F150 4x4 5.4 with an Automatic trans. will the 5 speed work between the 99's 5.4 and the electric shift transfer case ? The reasons for the change is the 5.4 trans is getting bad with almost 300,000 miles. Thank you in advance

Old 05-02-2017, 03:43 PM
Oh come on with all the brilliant minds here no one knows this......

Old 05-03-2017, 08:12 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
It will work. You can make anything work if you have the time and money, and in this case you will need quite a bit of both. Once you swap over the hardware, no small undertaking by the way, you will have to have the computer on the truck you're putting it into reprogrammed to account for the manual transmission.

So yes, it will work.

D

Old 05-03-2017, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
It will work. You can make anything work if you have the time and money, and in this case you will need quite a bit of both. Once you swap over the hardware, no small undertaking by the way, you will have to have the computer on the truck you're putting it into reprogrammed to account for the manual transmission.

So yes, it will work.

D
Thank you. Now as I have both trucks can I simply swap computers from one to the other ad save having to reprogram the existing one?

Old 05-03-2017, 10:29 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
No, the 99 has PATS, the 98 does not. The M5OD may not last too long behind a 5.4, it's a light duty transmission.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:00 PM
Nope, can't just swap the computers.

Like I said, this isn't going to be cheap or easy. MUCH easier and cheaper just to get the auto fixed.

D

Old 05-04-2017, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
Nope, can't just swap the computers.

Like I said, this isn't going to be cheap or easy. MUCH easier and cheaper just to get the auto fixed.

D
Ok What about changing both the 4.6 5 speed against the 5.4 transfer? my 4.6 has less than 1/2 the mileage, the biggest issue is the manual shift transfer in the 98' my wife has a hard time trying to get it in 4x4, and the cab and 1/2 is much handier. As far as money the only think that will cost me is the tune, I can do all the work I just didn't know if it could be done. So if the bell housings are interchangeable and the transmission will mate up to the transfer case it is doable. Thank you for the info so far it is farther than I have gotten.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:18 AM
Since you're working within the same platform, you can swap just about anything from one to another. Again, time and money. The years and computers complicate this in this case.

I'm not positive about what transfer case will bolt up to what though. Can't help you there. Hopefully others will.

I would pick my plan and then figure out what is needed. Whatever you do, if you switch the transmission type in the vehicle you are absolutely going to have to have a tune done. Plan on it costing about 4 times what your worst estimated guess is.

But...

The vehicle with the manual transmission can't have an automatic swapped into it without changing out the computer for one from the same year that is set up for an automatic. At least in this case with these particular years.

Best advice from decades of experience is to sell both and buy what you need in another truck. You're going to be into this for the price of a cheap running truck anyway. Might as well get something out of what you have now and apply that towards something better.

D