2006 Lariat 4wd Transmission swap with a Crown Victoria?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Lariat 4wd Transmission swap with a Crown Victoria?

Hi there, I’m new to this forum and fairly new to F150s. I purchased my first one in September 2016, a 2006 Lariat with 170k miles on it. I’ve always had a thing for the F150 since riding around in my grandfather’s 1973 when I was a kid.

Anyway, I purchased this truck last year with 170k miles on it and figured I’d be putting a transmission in it sooner or later. I was told that the torque converter and solenoid were replaced at 140k miles but not the transmission. Well, on the way home Wednesday my transmission started slipping a little. Upon arriving home I parked the truck and checked the fluid. The color looked good and there was not a hint of a burnt smell but it was about ½ a quart low. Doubting this was really the problem I added half a quart and took a drive. On said drive (about 2-3 miles) the transmission began to slip more until it didn’t… and the truck shifted normally. I drove back home fingers crossed that this actually might have been the issue. Anyway, no such luck as I tried to drive the truck last night and it started slipping badly again.

So my plan of attack now is:

1) Drop the pan and examine the contents for wear debris as well as the valve body.
2) Pull and check the solenoids for resistance and function.
3) Replace the transmission.

My question is if I decide to replace the transmission (which I believe is a 4R75E) can I purchase the same model transmission out of another vehicle that is 2wd and simply replace the transfer case with my 4wd transfer case? The reason I ask is because I found a pretty good deal on a Crown Victoria 4R75E with just over 100k miles.

Any other thoughts?

Thank you in advance for any guidance,
Ken

Last edited by Kengineer; 03-17-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:08 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Not interchangeable - it has to be a 4R75 out of a 04-10 4wd F150.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Understood, many thanks.