6r80 swap even possible?

Old 02-20-2017, 01:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
6r80 swap even possible?

So trucks (07 F150 fx4 5.4 3v) has been very very doggy lately, doesn't have much power. Truck has new motorcraft plugs, Delphi COPs, fuel filter, air filter, trans fluid, long tube headers, no cats, single 3" with a Borla. Custom tunes from PHP. And small others. Truck ran like a raped ape after plugs and cops. (Which happened after headers) then about 3 days later got doggy and hasn't gotten better. It's been about 6 months like that.

First shop I brought it to is guessing phasers, but can't give 100% sure. They say there are misfires on every cylinder but no codes.

Bring it to Ford. They say 0 misfires and cams advancing and retarding like they should be. Saying trans makes loud clunk when disengaging OD and TC. And engine really has to rev to make power. So possibly trans is slipping or fried. Also fuel trim is -4 and -6 long term.

Been doing some research and not seeing much on 6 speed swap. I have seen stand alone controllers for it, but I believe these are for the mustang. Any insight will be helpful. My biggest worry is the controller. If all else fails I have a ship rebuild my current trans. Just want something more efficient.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:18 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes, it's technically possible to do today. Will it work ou? Don't know yet. The controller just came out and I'm working on several of the small parts and pieces to make it all work. But this is going to be a stupid expensive swap. There is SO much that people don't think about from shifter to driveshaft and a bunch in between.

I'm likely to start working on one for my truck this year as long as the controller proves out. Since my truck is a 4X4, I have a WHOLE other bag of issues to consider.

D

Old 02-20-2017, 10:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you and I really appreciate the response. My truck is also a 4x4 so it'll make things even harder. I think at this point I'm in over my head and if it does end up being my trans giving me the problem I'll just have it rebuilt.
To me not enough time and research and experience has gone into the 6 speed swap to make it easy for the common DIY mechanic.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:51 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
There is NOTHING that is easy for a common DIY mechanic to swap a 6R80 into an older truck. This would be a very difficult swap.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:17 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
There is NOTHING that is easy for a common DIY mechanic to swap a 6R80 into an older truck. This would be a very difficult swap.
Difficult and expensive.

D

Search this Thread