hey all, my tranny needs your help please...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 07:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question hey all, my tranny needs your help please...

Hopefully I found the right area to post this thread. so heres the deal, 2008 f150 Harley Davidson RWD with 4r75e. I had an issue with my tranny not going into 1st gear. scanner said it was a shift solenoid problem. under further research, I found a broken pin in the pass through harness seal so today I went and bought the harness/seal and a new shift solenoid from ford. of course I found out I had to drop the valve body to get the harness out, first time doing it but looked easy enough. dropped it, changed the harness/seal and solenoid, bolted back together, all parts put back where the belonged nothing left out. bolted up the pan and new tranny filter and now it gets weird. 1st works fine but, heres what its doing. (park down to 1st) park is park, reverse is neutral, neutral is neutral, drive is neutral, 2nd is neutral, 1st is 1st and works. (1st up to park) 1st works as 1st, 2nd works as 2nd, drive is drive, neutral is drive, reverse is drive, and park is park? now I know this isn't a shift cable issues as the roles seems to change as I move it and I never touched the cable or gear plate in tranny. my scanner threw p0720 and p0722 stating the speed sensor wasn't responding which was also untouched and I was nowhere near it and the speedo works good. everything is cleaned and plugged in new fluid(10 qts approx. with assuming there is still like 4 in torque converter). I put in in and out of all gears while running several times to move fluids to where it should be. do I need to bleed something off or? any ideas?

Old 01-22-2017, 10:17 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
You have the drive pin on the "rooster comb" in the wrong slot on the manual valve on the valve body. And yeah, that's confusing. So...

It should look like this. Zoom in on the area outlined by the red square. I bet yours is on the other side of that clip.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:36 PM
Thank you Darrin,

Oddly enough I did some research last night and found similar info on an old Camaro site. only difference is they used an "S" hook to clip in. That said, you were exactly right. So to all that may run into this issue, you must set the pin before bolting on the valve body. I was doing it from the drivers side and was unable to see this initially. thanks again.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:09 PM
so I decided to be easy on the truck most of the day today and it was good. I also rebuilt the rear end because of shudder at higher rpms. Smart enough, since I was near home, I decided to get on it and see if the shudder was gone, magically it was. then I got on my street and the truck hardly moves in forward gears and its giving me the p0720 p0722 speed sensor codes again. its fine in reverse but forward it just stalls and says transmission malfunction failsafe mode. Sooo, did I jack my internal or friction plates lol?Also OD was working but switch wasn't turning it on or off. tested switch and its good.

Last edited by Alex O'Toole; 01-22-2017 at 04:32 PM.