2005 4H Not Engaging

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 4H Not Engaging

Hey All. I have a problem with my 4H not engaging on my 2005 F150 Screw. I had to have the transmission rebuilt over this past summer and honestly didn't give the 4wd a thought until I needed it yesterday for the first time since the rebuild.

So here is situation. Went to engage the 4H (ESOF **** on the dash) and the indicator light lit for like a second and then went off. The 4H did not engage. Tried it repeatedly and would still not engage. Get home and let the truck sit for a several hours and try again and same thing.

I then decide to see if 4L works and that did engage. Could hear it engage as well as the indicator light coming on. So the 4L works, apparently.

This morning, I go out and try to engage the 4H, I hear a click when I turn the ****, the indicator light lights up for a second, and then goes off and 4H is not engaged. I try 4L and it will engage.

I'm going to search these forums for a solution on my lunch break, but thought if anyone had other ideas in the interim or could point me to a good thread as a starting point, that would cut down on my already limited lunch time searching. Also, could this be related to the transmission work I had done in the summer or could it be just regular maintenance. The tranny is under warranty for 2 years and 24,000 miles, but taking the truck back to him and dropping it off is not really my best option at the moment. Thanks in advance all.