Locked transmission I think?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locked transmission I think?

Hello everyone I'm new to this site but not to wrenching this is a good one I'll get right to it I just got this 2003 f150 4x4 with 5.4 v8 from a wrecking yard truck has 186k mi. Orig eng. & trans I assume? the wrecking yard said it had a "locked engine" I get it home today and start looking at it I put a breaker on the crank bolt and I get a little bit of play a few thousths est back and fort with a clicking noise behind the torque converter I'm guessing the tiny play in the tranny is the pump gears? The truck will roll in neutral of coarse and it will roll in drive and reverse my question could the pump be locked up? Or torque converter lock up stuck on? I removed the serp belt removed a plug it looks good I've never heard it run I just got it. Oil looks great like 1500 mi on it the engine coolant looks great the truck looks pretty sound well maintained stock other then a cold air intake. I haven't code scanned it yet that was next.
never ran into this one usually the torque converter will always turn unless the engine is froze up
Thank you ..... Mike R

Last edited by Mrusch1205; 12-10-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:40 PM
Pulling out the trans in the morning leaving the torque converter bolted up
Fun!

Old 12-10-2016, 11:28 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
With the serp off and all plugs out, it still won't turn?

Old 12-10-2016, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by glc
With the serp off and all plugs out, it still won't turn?
^^^ What glc asked, and to add:
You mentioned the engines fluids, what about the transmission oil?

I've never heard of an automatic trans causing an engine to not turn over, if memory serves me there is no "solid" connection between the two. A manual trans is connected with a mechanical clutch (a solid connection) you have to release by depressing the clutch so the engine spins freely for starting. You don't have to with an automatic because it isn't "mechanically connected".
I would pull all the plugs and blast the cylinders with a penetrating oil and let it soak, then see if it turns long before pulling the transmission.
I could be wrong here, and if I am I'm sure someone will correct me.

Just my two cents

Old 12-11-2016, 09:00 AM
Thank you for your input
The transmission fluid looks a little burnt not the best not the worst my question is how come if I put my ear up to the transmission and move the harmonic ballancer back and forth the Hair that it will move
I hear a clanking or the resistance coming from right behind the torque converter and the tiny bit of play I'm feeling is free not a seized main bearing for sure. rod who knows? But for now I'm a gambling man I'd rather drop the drive lines and move the trans back enough to see if the engine will turn ? If it the engine locked after all the worst case I dropped the drive lines for nothing but if I pull the engine and then find out it was just the trans I'm gonna be bummed out
If I only could ask the previous owner what the heck happened last to the truck

Last edited by Mrusch1205; 12-11-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by Mrusch1205
Thank you for your input
The transmission fluid looks a little burnt not the best not the worst my question is how come if I put my ear up to the transmission and move the harmonic ballancer back and forth the Hair that it will move
I hear a clanking or the resistance coming from right behind the torque converter and the tiny bit of play I'm feeling is free not a seized main bearing for sure. rod who knows? But for now I'm a gambling man I'd rather drop the drive lines and move the trans back enough to see if the engine will turn ? If it the engine locked after all the worst case I dropped the drive lines for nothing but if I pull the engine and then find out it was just the trans I'm gonna be bummed out
If I only could ask the previous owner what the heck happened last to the truck
It's your time to spend, so if that's what you want to do dig in.

I just can't see an automatic causing your issue. If it were me I'd pull the plugs and soak the cylinders with PB blaster or similar, let it sit an hour or two and try to turn it. Before putting the effort into removing the trans, it's not that much effort to do that first.

Another thought/ question, did you drain the oil? If not maybe drain it through a strainer with a magnet, if the engine failed there will be metal in there I would imagine.

Old 12-11-2016, 03:03 PM
I drained out the engine oil it didn't look too bad
I got on the breaker bar really hard tightening to see if I could get it to break free nothing but then jiggling the breaker back and forth something in the trans clanked now I have a 1/4 in slop ? Still auidable clanking from inside tranny ? But deep down I'm thinking bad rod and the sound is just traveling through to the trans
It's the only thing that makes sense ? I had my buddy who I'm building the truck for order a rebuilt trans and a take out complete engine with a warranty and a new torque converter he's been wanting to order it all new as possible so as soon as I get it all out I'll post up what I found.thank you again Merry Christmas happy wrenching

Old 12-14-2016, 07:11 PM
Guess what everyone I got a early Christmas present �� It was the pump on the trans locked up like I thought I just got the trans out finally taking my time it was a pain with the TC still bolted up but I pulled it out then ran up front put a breaker bar on the harmonic ballancer and it turned over beautiful !! Now time for a whole new trans new fluids spark plugs belts hoses whatever else it needs Christmas came early for me I knew by putting my ear up to the trans and going back and forth on the crank hearing the "tink tink" behind the bell housing pump area that I was on to something! Merry Christmas everyone ☃

Last edited by Mrusch1205; 12-14-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:12 PM
Can't even put a Christmas tree emoji up ?

Old 12-14-2016, 09:03 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Congratulations! That sounds like good news! You need to change the TC too because of the possibility of debris in the TC that could ruin the new transmission.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:28 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Wow the pump must have completely grenaded internally

Old 12-15-2016, 03:19 AM
I'm sure it did something nasty I'll try to take it apart and post some pics of what failed in it
I planned on doing a trans with a 3 yr warranty it comes with a new TC I was gonna try to flush out the lines and trans cooler the whole system with brake cleaner and blow it out good before the new trans goes back in

Old 12-15-2016, 10:54 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Those plate type trans coolers are hard if not impossible to flush clean. Better to replace it.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:57 PM
Wow, I have never heard of something like that happening. Guess there's always something you've never seen. I agree with changing out the trans cooler it's good insurance. For my money I'd just replace the lines as well, they really aren't that expensive, for under $300 I replaced my radiator and all the trans lines. I used OEM lines from my Ford dealer, pretty sure the three were under $175.
Good luck and glad you found the problem!