Jb weld on stripped bolt hole?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 05:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jb weld on stripped bolt hole?

So after draining the torque converter and dropping the pan to get out the dex/merc sold to me mistakenly at pep boys, I went to reinstall the pan and cross threaded one of the three rear pan bolts. I bought a helicoil kit but the holes are situated in such a way that it is impossible to drill straight even with an angle drill. This is the same problem I had when trying to reinstall the pan. So for the time being i simply cranked in a steel bolt with some thread locker. It seems to be holding well for now but I'm assuming it will work it's way out eventually. When this happens I'm thinking about jb welding in a stud or making new threads for a bolt.
What is the proper technique? I'm assuming I fill the stripped hole with jb then thread in the bolt and let it sit for a few minutes. Then remove the bolt, let it cure and then reinstall the pan. I read an old thread where a guy used jb weld for a blown out spark plug and it held permanently. This is amazing stuff.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:28 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
How bad was the cross thread?

You can probably use a thread chaser, or a tap and recover the threads without using the helicoil