Need Advice, Replacing Clutch!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice, Replacing Clutch!

My clutch is slipping on my '94 F-150. I haven't worked on a transmission before and could use any and all advice! Can't afford to pay someone $900 to do it, but I can afford a weekend with sockets, beer, and swearing. Please respond asap!
-Brandon

Old 08-19-2016, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first piece of advice is buy a chilton or haynes manual for your truck, they're under $30 typically and will guide you through the whole process. I have one for nearly every vehicle I've ever owned. They're great reference for a beginner to experienced "wrench". It'll come in handy for any future repairs you might need to make.

Is your truck 4x4 or rear wheel drive? rear wheel will be simpler, but since you have more time than money you'll get through either way.
You'll want to have your flywheel resurfaced at a machine shop to clean the surface up, I know some guys will just hit it with sandpaper or the like, but it's worth the small investment to have a shop do that. I haven't done a clutch in a few years, but here in Wi my local machine shop charged like $20-30 to resurface mine. You want that done because the surface gets beat up by the clutch material and since your's is slipping it's probably glazed. They may be able to do it while you wait, or it may be the next day if they're busy.
Buy a clutch kit that includes everything INCLUDING an alignment tool, you don't want to have to go back in again to replace a throwout bearing or pressure plate. Again, it's worth the extra money to just put all new parts in because it's a ton of work to get at it in the first place.
JACK STANDS! Make sure you have the truck on sturdy jack stands or wooden blocks that are stable. Once it's up in the air give it a good shove, if it wiggles around change how it's supported, you don't want to drop it on your head. People are killed daily because a vehicle fell on them.
Save the beers till your done, you don't want to forget to tighten a bolt or something. Ok, you don't have to wait for beers but don't get pickled till you're done.

If you get stuck, post a question someone will usually have an answer

Just my two cents, Gene

Quick Reply: Need Advice, Replacing Clutch!