Need Advice on 4R75W broken E clip, but no pieces in the valve body

Old 07-23-2016, 02:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice on 4R75W broken E clip, but no pieces in the valve body

Hey Everyone
Ive got the same problem as others with the OD going out, works just fine with OD off button etc.....

Pulled the valve body expecting to see the large C clip in the servo shaft broken like most everyone else, but it was not........

The small E clip (3/8") that holds the servo shaft to the plunger was broken. The biggest piece was on top of the valve body and the small broken piece was down in the pan.....nothing stuck in the OD valve like described by others..

Would the broken E clip that holds the shaft and plunger together cause a loss of the overdrive?????? If that clip is broken the shaft and plunger move separately it appears and not together as they are supposed to.......if i push up on the shaft I can see the servo band (thru the peek hole) move up so I know the shaft is connected to the servo band......With the E clip broken off, did i lose OD because the servo is not able to push the OD band upwards because the plunger and the shaft are not tied together???? Will putting a new E clip likely fix the OD problem......???? Need some expert advice......thanks

Cory

Old 07-23-2016, 09:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you check the OD servo regulator valve in the valve body? I bet a piece of the clip has jammed the valve. You have to remove the separator plate off the valve body to see this valve. even the smallest piece can jam the valve and cause it to stick in the exhaust position.

Last edited by mitymerc; 07-23-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:30 PM
Thanks Mity Merc
I did remove the entire valve, but did not notice anything. Gonna put it back together again soon..... Just wondering what effect that broken E clip had on the servo and if that might be the problem....Im just not sure exactly how the servo works in terms of the shaft and servo being together with that E clip? When that clip broke, did the OD quit working or is it not a factor in losing the OD?

Old 07-23-2016, 09:45 PM

That black 3/8" e clip in the center of the photo is the one that was broke and laying on the valve body.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I know the clip you are talking about. I suppose its possible the servo pin was slightly pushed up and the servo piston was moving back and forth and the pin not moving, which would cause OD band to not engage.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:44 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
That piece of e-clip is in there somewhere. Or at least it was. It was what was causing you to not have OD. If you have positively taken everything apart and haven't found it then maybe it fell out in the process. But, it was definitely there and mucking things up for you.

D

Old 07-25-2016, 07:54 PM
Hey Darrin
I found both pieces and neither was in the valve area but I sure hope when I put the new e clip on the overdrive works. Fluid doesn't look to good so Im wondering if the OD band burned up as a result of the clip coming off.... who knows????

Old 07-26-2016, 07:53 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Unfortunately the only way to tell is to go there and find out.

D

Old 07-01-2023, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by Cory Shell
Hey Everyone
Ive got the same problem as others with the OD going out, works just fine with OD off button etc.....

Pulled the valve body expecting to see the large C clip in the servo shaft broken like most everyone else, but it was not........

The small E clip (3/8") that holds the servo shaft to the plunger was broken. The biggest piece was on top of the valve body and the small broken piece was down in the pan.....nothing stuck in the OD valve like described by others..

Would the broken E clip that holds the shaft and plunger together cause a loss of the overdrive?????? If that clip is broken the shaft and plunger move separately it appears and not together as they are supposed to.......if i push up on the shaft I can see the servo band (thru the peek hole) move up so I know the shaft is connected to the servo band......With the E clip broken off, did i lose OD because the servo is not able to push the OD band upwards because the plunger and the shaft are not tied together???? Will putting a new E clip likely fix the OD problem......???? Need some expert advice......thanks

Cory
hello,

Am having the same issue could you help me.?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Advice on 4R75W broken E clip, but no pieces in the valve body