2005 F-150 4R75E transmission rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 09:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 F-150 4R75E transmission rebuild

I rebuilt the transmission on this truck about 2 yrs ago. At that time the truck had 330,000 miles on it. The owner complained the transmission lost reverse and I found the reverse band had broken. The owner of the truck is a salesman for a well drilling company, so the truck was used to travel across the southeast making sales and service parts calls. He tells me he got a new truck and this truck was turned over the service guys in the parts yard, this happened roughly 18 months ago. He contacted me 3 weeks ago, saying the truck lost reverse again and would barely move forward. The truck was towed to my shop and currently has 375,000 on it. A pipe rack had been installed and it was evident the truck was being overloaded and/or towing more that it should. Test drive verified no reverse and get it to move forward I had to put in 4 wheel high, put the shifter in low 1 and rev the engine to 4000 RPM before it would move under its own power. The transmission fluid was full, black and had a very strong burned odor.

Got the transmission removed and torn down for a rebuild. The pan magnet was full of metal debris and there was black material in the bottom of the pan the looked and felt like sand, which is a classic sign of torque converter clutch failure. The forward and direct clutches were both burned severely and the frictions were worn to the metal. The low/reverse band was worn to the metal and had scored the band surface on the planetary gear.

Full rebuild was done, along with new bands, good used planetary gear, new forward and direct drum. I made some improvements on this rebuild by using a thinner pressure plate and adding 1 friction to the reverse clutch, making it a total of 4 reverse clutches. I also made a few improvements to the valve body to eliminate pressure leaks from normal wear. Transmission was installed and confirmed working/shifting properly. The vehicle owner tells me he bought from the company he works for, removed the pipe rack and given it to his girlfriend for something to drive around in.

Quick Reply: 2005 F-150 4R75E transmission rebuild