Disconnecting the "Quick" Disconnect Transmission Cooler Line

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disconnecting the "Quick" Disconnect Transmission Cooler Line

I have a 2010 F-150 without a tow package. In my efforts to retrofit my vehicle back to the way it would have been off of the factory floor had a tow package been put in, I was adding in a transmission cooler with all Ford parts (ie. no after market rigging of a trans. cooler and no cutting of any lines).

The "before":

The "after":

I have recently spent more time on the stupid little "quick" disconnect on a transmission line than I'd like to admit for my F-150. I finally was able to remove it, but not without a LOT of effort but also a great deal learned as well over my numerous hours spent on something that should have taken mere seconds...Thought I'd share with what worked, and why.

I first used a NAPA quick disconnect tool that looks identical to Lisle 39960. THIS DID NOT WORK. Then I went out and bought the much more expensive OTC 6593 quick disconnect tool. THIS DID NOT WORK EITHER. I have read numerous posts on this forum (and others) regarding some of the pains that people have when removing this ridiculous connection - even WITH these tools. You'd think you wouldn't have any problems with these tools, but they can be extremely frustrating.

The problem that people have I believe is not a dirt build-up inside of the fitting, nor is it about not being able to get in there deep enough with the tool (the spring is right at the top). Those seem to be common observations. I believe the problem actually relates to how far apart you can spread that spring clip apart.

These tools WILL ultimately work for you, they just have to be modified slightly. And I believe the magic fix lies in FOIL TAPE. I have read previously that what is required is an EXACT fit, nothing else will do. And I believe that to be true as well. I took my OTC 6593 tool and lined the inside with foil tape. When I lined it with 1 layer of tape, and then reefed on it, I could feel a little bit more "play" than what I had felt before. I lined it with a 2nd layer, and felt more "play", and at that point I knew I was on the right track. A 3rd layer of foil tape and the line popped right out at me, with very little upward pressure. So, 3 layers of foil tape did the trick but 2 didn't. So the thickness of a single layer of foil tape is the difference between it working and more hours of frustration.

The modified tool:

After many hours of reefing on it, I was surprised how it came out with such little force. So if you are continually reefing on it, know that it isn't supposed to be like that and what is probably needed is more "thickness" to the plastic tool that you are inserting.

LOL if this helps even 1 person from going through the crap that I went through on this, this long-winded post will be well worth it.

Last edited by Paraaronoid; 02-09-2016 at 12:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Disconnecting the "Quick" Disconnect Transmission Cooler Line