04 F150 Lost overdrive, servo clip broke
http://www.f150online.com/forums/tra...roke-pics.html

ISSUE
2004 Ford F150 lost overdrive, some of the symptoms of this include:
• No overdrive
• Shift right into neutral
• Not able to engine brake into 2nd gear
• If you turn of OverDrive, you can drive normally within the first three gears
This was caused by the overdrive servo retaining clip snap and lodged into the a valve on the valve body
Read below for the full discussion…
Print Wikipost

04 F150 Lost overdrive, servo clip broke (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goes into neutral when overdrive is on

My 05' f150 goes into neutral when it is in second gear and overdrive is on. Could this be the snap ring?

Old 11-05-2015, 01:05 PM
It's in the shop...I hope for my wallet's sake it's only the snap ring...

Old 11-06-2015, 02:46 PM
Still in the shop...

Snap ring was in 4 pieces...they replaced and re-assembled. Still no overdrive...

When I went to pick it up yesterday, I asked are you sure the OD band was re-attached? So, they are tearing into it again today...

Old 11-06-2015, 05:22 PM
So the shop called...band was not on...they got it fixed!

Thank you to all that had this problem before me! I might not have asked them if they were sure about the OD band being on without reading this thread! Would have cost me a whole lotta mo money!

Old 12-22-2015, 05:07 PM
You guys are awesome!!! I was so worried my trans is bad. I have the same problem. Drives fine in three gears. Overdrive is like neutral. this happen from hitting passing gear. No hard driving. Just quit working. Tim98. I would have done the same if the other guys had not helped you. Thank you for sharing your issues and thx to everyone that helped you and clarified the task. Again. You guys are awesome!!!!

Old 12-24-2015, 01:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Been a while since i have been on here but good to see its helping people out. I haven't a problem with the transmission since. I am at 150k miles too.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:58 AM
Thx for the reply. Mine is 277k. It is doing what you described. It's been a long time so I was wondering if it lasted. With what I learned here. I will be doing this repair myself. Thx to you and the others that helped. For it's going to help me. I'm working on changing the timing chain and VVT solenoids. They can say what they want about ford trucks. 277k and all I've changed is plugs a couple of coils and fuel pump.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:52 PM
I was just wondering if anyone would like to comment on how many miles they had on their trucks when this failure occurred. Also add if anyone had used their truck to pull loads over 3,000 lbs while using overdrive.

Thanks.

Kevin

Old 01-11-2016, 10:11 AM
I had around 150,000 miles. This particular failure would not be directly related to the load. If it was related to anything, it would be to the number of cycles of the overdrive (and second gear braking). So extensive driving where the truck was constantly shifting in and out of overdrive MAY hasten the failure. The stress on the O-ring will actually occur when shifting out of overdrive.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:13 PM
I think mine occurred with about 130k miles on it(the transmission)...this is the second transmission in my truck. My first one crapped out at 51k...and was replaced under warranty...my truck hit 184k last week...

Not much towing the last few years...I do however, shift the truck in and out of overdrive coming down through the Sierras from Lake Tahoe...its easier on the brakes which tend to warp on that drive...

Old 01-24-2016, 04:07 PM
OD still not working

Originally Posted by MLD
Oh man. Drop the valve body, and find the slot to access the band. You will see it with a hole in it. Put an angled pick in the hole in the band, and slide it over as far as you can. Then push servo up just to clear the snap ring slot.
The servo will engage the tang on the band, but you will not be able to see this. The 'sign' that you have engaged the band with the servo, is that it won't snap back out of position. If it snaps back then retry. It may take several practices.

A friend of mine actually fixed the servo clip and thought he engaged the servo in the OD band but I still had no OD! Dropped the valve body and found 2 pieces of the old servo clip in the valve then reassembled and still have no overdrive once I drop the valve body is there anyway to tell if the servo is engaged in the band or not? If it is engaged in the band properly what else could be the issue? Or is it more then likely the servo not engaged in the OD band? Please any help at all would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-25-2016, 02:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
only way to check it is to drop the valve body and see if the OD band is loose. if its loose and you can move it up and down with a screw driver, its probably not engaged on the pin.

with the servo removed, I use a piece of a hacksaw blade and jam it up in the case this pushes the OD band in the correct position and supports the band at the same time so when you insert the OD servo, the pin engages the band cleat.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by mitymerc
only way to check it is to drop the valve body and see if the OD band is loose. if its loose and you can move it up and down with a screw driver, its probably not engaged on the pin.

with the servo removed, I use a piece of a hacksaw blade and jam it up in the case this pushes the OD band in the correct position and supports the band at the same time so when you insert the OD servo, the pin engages the band cleat.
Thanks I'll try that

Old 01-26-2016, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by mitymerc

Also is there any way that you know of to check if the OD servo itself needs to be replaced?

Old 01-26-2016, 12:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
its not common for the servo to fail or leak. Visually inspect it, make sure the rubber is soft and pliable and inspect the rubber seal edge for nicks and/or wear. check servo bore for excessive wear, nicks or grooves. you can polish the bore with 1000, 1200, 1500 grit sand paper, just clean the bore thoroughly before reassembly.

It is common for the servo pin to wear the case and cause a pressure leak. since you will have the servo removed, its a good idea to install the sonnax servo pin. install the extra washer for a firmer 3/4 upshift.

http://www.sonnax.com/parts/2379-ove...-servo-pin-kit

Quick Reply: 04 F150 Lost overdrive, servo clip broke (pics)