Shudder/hesitation when accelerating in first gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Shudder/hesitation when accelerating in first gear

2005 F150 v6 standard cab.

Truck just started doing this today. I pulled away from a light and felt the truck just studder/hesitate when first accelerating. At first I thought it was a flat rear tire, it felt and sounded EXACTLY like this. In fact I pulled right over and checked to make sure I did not have a flat.

It continued doing it, it was worse when I got hard on the throttle from a stop. I found that if I really babied it off the start, it did not do it. Furthermore, all remaining shifting happens normally.

Any ideas what this could be? Truck has about 150k miles, I have changed the fluid annually every year I have owned the truck and it is due for it again.

Any ideas?

Old 08-27-2011, 11:23 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
How old are the spark plugs, wires, and coil pack? Are they Motorcraft plugs?

Old 08-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better get your rocker arms checked had kind of a similar situation and turns out two of my rocker arms exploded inside and left me with half the power. Here I thought it was just a plugs or COP's. Nope opened up and pieces were everywhere. Scraped up everything inside and now pieces are probably in opposite head. 2004 F150 5.4 with only 70K miles and the engine is done. Dropping a new reman in tomrw, thank god for days in the military or else I would be paying out the *** to get this put in.

Also what kind of oil filter are you running, if its not ford motorcraft you gonna cease the up part of the engine because they have been know to do this on 04-06 with other filters.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:59 PM
glc
The 4.2 is a totally different engine than your 5.4.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:11 PM
Let me reiterate, truck runs normally, shifts normally, accelleates normally. It JUST does this during initial acceleration from a dead stop in first gear, and it's not all the time in first gear, just when accelerating from a stop.

In reference to the plugs/coil packs. They are whatever came with the truck. I have yet to change the plugs or do anything with the wires or coil packs. It actually runs smooth, idles fine.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mileage?

Have you visually inspected the u-joints? Any vibration in reverse?

Old 08-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by malexander52
Have you visually inspected the u-joints? Any vibration in reverse?
No and No.

I am almost positive it's not U joints, I know what that feels/sounds like.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:04 AM
glc
How many MILES are on this truck with an original ignition system?

Old 08-29-2011, 10:12 AM
Sounds like a forward clutch concern. Major repair.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Check your MAF sensor on your air intake could be getting dirty, this also was a problem that I found.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by glc
How many MILES are on this truck with an original ignition system?
Just south of 150k

Old 08-29-2011, 02:32 PM
After reading a bunch of threads, I get the feeling this may end up being plugs or plug wires. Furthermore on the way into work today, while at speed, the truck kind of just cut out, then back in, some people use the term "bucking".

The recommendations seem to be to use Motorcraft wires and plugs. I priced the wires, holy ****, $100 for a set of plug wires? I am going to do a plug and wire job. I am hoping I do not have to remove the intake manifold on the v6 like I did on my 2002 4.6 just to change the plugs.

I am really hoping this will fix it, I dont want to have to put much money into this truck, as I was hoping to buy a new one some time this year.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:16 AM
glc
Change just the plugs first. At 150k, you are at least 50k overdue. Motorcraft SP504's are $3.26 each at rockauto.com.

If you do need wires, Motorcraft WR6117 is $37.79 at rockauto.com.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Change just the plugs first. At 150k, you are at least 50k overdue. Motorcraft SP504's are $3.26 each at rockauto.com.

If you do need wires, Motorcraft WR6117 is $37.79 at rockauto.com.
Wish I saw this before yesterday. I got raked over the coals for the plug wire kit at the STEALERship to the tune of 93.18. I called 3 local dealers, all had the same price.

At any rate, I am happy to report that replacing plugs and plug wires did the trick. I would have never guessed that it would cause those symptoms, but sure enough it did. Truck seems to have a completely different sound now, much smoother. I am shocked actually...

Thanks to all who gave advice.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:02 PM
aik
Originally Posted by crazynip
2005 F150 v6 standard cab.

Truck just started doing this today. I pulled away from a light and felt the truck just studder/hesitate when first accelerating. At first I thought it was a flat rear tire, it felt and sounded EXACTLY like this. In fact I pulled right over and checked to make sure I did not have a flat.

It continued doing it, it was worse when I got hard on the throttle from a stop. I found that if I really babied it off the start, it did not do it. Furthermore, all remaining shifting happens normally.

Any ideas what this could be? Truck has about 150k miles, I have changed the fluid annually every year I have owned the truck and it is due for it again.

Any ideas?

I know this post is extremly old but I thought I'd try anyway

crazynip.. thanks for posting cause the symptoms you descripe were exactly like mine. I was due for spark plug replacement anyway and thought i'd try that remedy. My brother finished installing my plugs and wires an hour ago. I took my jeep for a test drive and she feels much lighter and feels like she has more get up and go. However, i did feel that shudder still in the 1st gear. Not as badly, but still there. Does this take time to rectify itself after the spark plugs are replaced? During your research, did you consider any other fixesw if the plug and wire solution hadn't worked for you? As you can tell, I know 0 about vehicles and I would appreciate your input.

I will also appreciate anyone that would like to chime in.

thanks again!

Quick Reply: Shudder/hesitation when accelerating in first gear