ANOTHER Sound...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ANOTHER Sound...

Got the U-joints done about a month and a half ago. That made a small vibration a little bigger, but I've just been able to ignore it as long as I wasn't going any of a few speeds (54-58, 84+ mph). Yesterday on my trip home (highway) it was there most of the trip, regardless of speed. Today, when I was going about 72, I turned off the radio just to see how loud it is, and boy was I surprised. I went up to 74 mph and holy HELL! The change in my cupholder was attempting to flee and my sunglasses were sliding down my nose!

I haven't ever gone off road with it. 2001 F-150 screw 2WD, about 210,000 miles. It was suggested before that my driveshaft needed balancing, but I didn't go for it because I was not only afraid that that might not be the solution, but also, I didn't have the money. Recently, someone said it could actually be a problem with the u-joints (seeing as that installation of new ones brought about the vibration.) Please, any help to calm my nerves! Its a Friday night and I have to drive it this weekend, not to mention I don't have the money...

Old 08-06-2011, 12:14 AM
Not much of a car/truck guy, but I would have the U-joints or even the bearings checked. Is the vibration more in the front or back of the truck? Could be an axle going out as well? Not sure, but hope this helps man.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:35 PM
I'd have to say its in the back, but its tough to tell; a vehicle is a giant amplifier for noises and vibrations.

I had some bearings in the rear end replaced a few months back, including the axle bearings. From what I was told, the axles were alright. The vibration initially started when I got the u-joints replaced and has just recently grown worse.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Yea I hear ya there. If the vibration initially started when the U-Joints got replaced and has just gotten steadily worse, then I'd definitely take the truck back to where they were installed at and have them look at it. And if it's in fact the U-Joints then they should replace them for free.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Racer97
Yea I hear ya there. If the vibration initially started when the U-Joints got replaced and has just gotten steadily worse, then I'd definitely take the truck back to where they were installed at and have them look at it. And if it's in fact the U-Joints then they should replace them for free.
I got a hold of my usual guy today. I'm taking it in first thing tomorrow morning so that with any luck, I'll have it back tomorrow night. He said that when they balance the drive shaft, they will replace the U-joints. I guess that's how he gets out of paying for anything... :/

Quick Reply: ANOTHER Sound...