I Killed my 4R70W, opinions on how I did it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:29 PM
pcn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Killed my 4R70W, opinions on how I did it?

I've lost Drive and OD on our 2000 5.0 Explorer. 1 and 2 still work as well as Reverse. Just as the trans is about to shift into D it "neutrals". It never makes it to OD. If I turn off the OD it will hold 2nd, seemingly indefinitely; if OD is on it will neutral. It may be coincidence, but I think the event I'll describe was related to the failure, and hope that someone can explain what happened in technical terms. Driving about 45 mph the car stalled. I put it in Neutral and restarted it, didn't slow the vehicle, and put it back in Drive. The engine rev'd higher and then the trans "caught". Drove home with no issues, maybe 5 miles. Later that day my wife drove it and it started experiencing the missing D and OD. So did the restart while moving cause this, and is it something that might be semi-easily fixed, or does this sound like a rebuild? Explorer has 150k and there are no codes. Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You've most likely sheared the intermediate stub shaft, sorry I don't have more time for you right now. It is something you have to remove a large amount of the internals to get to, so you may as well swap or rebuild. (Darrin in my sig builds nice quality transmissions)

Quick Reply: I Killed my 4R70W, opinions on how I did it?