04 f150 5.4L tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mandofire: Nothing yet, have to wait for my college semester to end so that I can leave my truck at the shop for a day or so for the mechanic to work on it a bit to figure it out. Hopefully about 2 weeks I'll know. More than likely the problem is going to be the COPS, but to me it feels like something in the drivetrain/trans. Up in the air right now.
-Jake

Old 08-31-2011, 07:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to revive this old thread but it's the closest thing I have found to what I'm experiencing.

I got the same problem with mine as well. Once I'm up to highway speeds 40+ and I settle in to a cruising speed I feel it kind of intermittently loose power for just the very small less than a second time-frames, this only happens when I barely have my foot on the gas and seems to mostly happen when in OD but I do notice it with the OD off as well once I get into a cruise situation.

I don't suspect a misfire since I have no miss-fire codes and I have a newly rebuilt motor with new COPS & injectors. It did the same thing before the rebuild. As long as I'm accelerating evening slightly this doesn't slip doesn't happen. I would think that if it wass slipping it would be worse under acceleration but it isn't. It's like the TC is locking and unlocking or it's slipping in and out of drive.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:29 PM
I am having the exact same problem!

It only does it when I am off throttle. It starts clunking like it is coming out of gear or something. Doesn't do it while on the gas and under power. Mostly when coasting at high speeds.

I just did a pan drop and DIY flush and I thought that would cure it, but it is back.

I have a 2006 FX4 with the 5.4. It has 112k on it.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:10 PM
What you describe is exactly what I'm feeling on mine. I have also dropped my pan and changed the filter, no improvement, so I had it flushed and still no improvement. If it is just something like a servo or valve body issue I would prefer to just change that vs doing a full rebuild at this point. I don't trust any transmission shop to give me the straight scoop on the issue and only fix what is needed so I'm leaning towards just pulling it and rebuilding it myself.

Looks like I can get a full master rebuild kit for around $400-500 dollars for all the soft parts. Hoepfully there is nothing wrong with any of the hard parts. I don't think there is because I don't have any strange sounds/grinding/slipping other than this one symptom. It seems like a control issue more than an actual mechanical failure. Almost like there is a loss of pressure or something when I'm coasting that is causing the servos or valve bodies to mis-behave.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Well, I got an Edge EVO this morning and tried to program, had a checksum error, called Edge and they set it up to put the stock tune back on it and after programming back to stock and then using the performance tune this issue is gone now. I haven't tried the other tunes( trans / tow ) yet. I bought this truck used so I guess it had a bad tune on it or the PCM just needed a reflash. The EVO is pretty good, I like being able to see all my temps( head, coolant, trans, oil ). Especially with it so hot here in Texas and towing my boat I can keep an eye on my trans. Starting to understand why they call it Fix Or Repair Daily. This being my first Ford truck I'm learning to love it as I go.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Tw1tch90
hi i have a 2004 ford f150 5.4L lariat ... while driving at speeds of 40 and higher with my foot off the throttle it is fine as soon as i try to keep speed it shudders and if i step into it it will **** and be fine sometimes sluggish while taking off what is the problem can anyone help??? trans shop said about 1600 to fix and they couldnt even tell me what the problem was..
This is what happened to mine when I had the same problem with the same year and truck. I took mine in after noticing that same thing and it turned out the engine was misfiring on 3 different coils. Got the new plugs and changed out the COPS and truck ran beautifully with no hick ups. About two weeks later I was driving down the highways and felt the engine jump, a grinding noise and then nothing. But shortly after I started to get a quiet shudder. Low and behold got interested in it and opened the head and my rocker arm had blown apart inside and had got stuck in a few places shredding the walls where it had got stuck. A truck with barely 70K miles breaking a rocker arm? Yea I gave Ford an ear full, they paid for the labor of my new engine to be put in but I still got sacked with the $4500 engine but the labor was $2500. Hope yours turns out better!

Old 09-05-2011, 09:36 PM
Well hopefully everything works out for you guys, I had a misfire in my #8 cylinder. Replaced the Coil, boot and plug and it runs perfectly fine. If one went, I'm sure the other 7 are going to follow closely behind...unfortunately.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:22 PM
I bet most people that have these transmission problems never changed their atf every 30k miles.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Ok, I did some very scientific testing this this weekend. (I drove my truck).

I experience this problem under the same conditions every time:
right around 1500 rpm
45-55mph
4th gear
off throttle and just easing back into the throttle

Doesn't happen in tow mode.

So do you think it is an ignition problem or a trans problem?

Old 09-06-2011, 02:34 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Ignition. You say you have 112k, have the plugs and/or cops ever been changed?

Old 09-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Nope

Old 09-06-2011, 05:25 PM
glc
You are overdue for plugs - Ford recommends 60k on the 5.4 3 valve.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:37 PM
I'll give it a shot. I have read countless threads about changing/breaking them and the correct procedure. The listle tool, etc. I guess I should just go for it.
So the COPS should be replaced too? I see they are $100 on fleabay.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:24 AM
glc
Change the plugs first - you can always get cops if it's still running bad.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:43 PM
I am now experiencing the same issue:

2007 F150 35" tires 3.73 rear end, 104K highway miles, truck is very well taken care of and not abused. My rear pinion has been replaced at 60K mi.

Symptoms:
1. Under hard accelleration, sometime, feels like a vibration and wooshing noise coming from gear shift area almost like a pump cavitating. I have changed trany fluid and shows over half full on the "ok" part of the dipstick.

2. After trucks shifts into OD and while traveling under light accelleration... accellerate a little harder and truck jerks, acts like it is missing a gear. Funny thing, I notice this more when the AC is on or if the weather is warmer, like in the afternoon vs. the morning.

#2 sounds like I could believe it is tied to the engine, but doubt it, but #1 does not. With as many trucks have this problem and many people having fixed this, is this tied to one resolution, or do we have to fix bits and pieces to get a resolution?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 04 f150 5.4L tranny problems