shifter stuck in park!!!!

Old 06-11-2006, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shifter stuck in park!!!!

I really hate for my first post to be a desperate plea for help but......PLEEASE HELP!!

I bought an '04 F-150 Lariat 4x4 supercab w/40k on it last week & love the truck so far except 2 days ago it wouldn't come out of park, there I sat at the drive up window at the bank in my shiny black truck unable to move because the shifter seemed 'locked in place'.

It has the flow through console and floor shifter.

After many repeated attempts it finally shifted into drive. I took it by the dealer I bought it from and of course it wouldn't do it again. Now, it's sunday and I was going to take 'er for a spin with my neighbor and wouldn't you know...it wont come out of park again.....VERY VERY EMBARRASING. I've tried shutting off and restarting the engine, everything I know of to try and still there it sits. Most automatics with a floor shift have an 'emergency' release for the shifter somewhere activated by depressing an indent with a straightned paper clip etc... but I can't locate the telltale small hole anywhere. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help.....stuck in Wyoming.

Old 06-11-2006, 06:21 PM
got it.

Broken wire at the brake light sending unit on the brake pedal itself. Bad design, I suggest you locate yours for when, not if, the same thing happens to your F-150.

Old 06-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Yeah happens every now and then since the early 90s for the safety feature that you need to have the brake pressed to come out of park. If the brake light switch fails the truck thinks your foot isn't on the brake. Other key givaway is the brakelights don't work.

There is a procedure in your manual that you follow a few steps with the key position and such to get out of park due to an electrical failure. Slips my mind at the moment as I would only have to worry bout it for one of the 7 trucks.

Adrianspeeder

Old 01-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Do you know if this can be fixed? This happened to me today. I went to the mall with my wire and noticed when I got out of the car that my left headlight wasnt working. I thought it was wierd. Then we went to leave, and couldnt get the shifter out of park. Gave it a few minutes - then it broke loose.

Now - one point here. I have been attempting an installation of an audio system that hooks to the reverse sensor wire and the speed sensor wire. I also ran a backup camera. Could I have messed something up? Shorted something out?

Old 01-06-2007, 12:09 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Make certain your BRAKE lights work. If not, fix that problem and your shift interlock problems should also be solved.

Steve

Old 01-06-2007, 01:39 AM
Yeah - they were off and on too. During my nav installation, I tapped into the reverse wire - and I rechecked that tonight. Lo and behold - didnt quite get the harness back in all the way!

fixed the problem - but boy do I feed STOOPID!

Very interesting the effects of that though - shifter didnt move, left headlight out....

Old 01-08-2007, 08:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wyomingF150
Most automatics with a floor shift have an 'emergency' release for the shifter somewhere activated by depressing an indent with a straightned paper clip etc... but I can't locate the telltale small hole anywhere. Any suggestions?
Nope, nothing like that on these trucks.

Next time it's stuck, try this. Turn the key from off to the first click. If anything turns on, you went too far. Now move the shifter to N. Start the truck with the shifter in N, and you're fine until you put it back in P.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:14 PM
I know this thread is really old but my shifter is stuck in park. It wont budge, and even witht he key turned one click it still won't budge? Its parked up the att store where it failed me.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:18 PM
I recall seeing this in the owners manual. There is a manual override for the lockout.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:19 PM
checking to see if the brake lights work is not a good test for this on the 04-up. the brake switch on these trucks is actually 2 switches in 1. 1 for the brake lights and 1 for the shift interlock.

Last edited by Paralyzer; 04-11-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by kdds05screw
I recall seeing this in the owners manual. There is a manual override for the lockout.
I got that to work, but i have to do that everytime to shift out of park. I have to push the little white button down every time. Any idea on how to fix this?

Old 04-12-2008, 04:31 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Do your brake lights work?

Old 04-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Do your brake lights work?
Yes

Old 04-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Anyone???

Old 04-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Jditta,

I am having that same problem right now. The fuse is blowing on mine that controls the Stop Lamp switch, Speed Control, Brake Shift Interlock, ABS, PCM Module inputs, GEM Module.

I can get it to run by turning the ignition to the first setting, then putting it in Neutral and cranking it up. It works but I am not sure what to do. It is either a faulty wire and or by Switch. What is also funny is that my windshield wipers stop working when that fuse goes out so I am at a loss as to where to start.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: shifter stuck in park!!!!