What 4r70w transmissions fit a '95 F150 2wd?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What 4r70w transmissions fit a '95 F150 2wd?

Hello, just had a quick question about a transmission. I live in the midwest (Janesville, WI) and I'm having a hard time finding a 4r70w/AODE transmission for my 1995 F-150, 5.0 (302) 2WD, my truck is currently a Frankenstein because it has the transmission out of an E150. I have found several 4r70w transmissions, but will a 4r70W transmission from a lincoln fit in my F150? I've also got a guy who has a 93 4r70w from an interceptor, will that fit? Or will I have to do major modifications? Thank you for all your help.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:18 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Since I answered your visitor message, I found this thread.

I know what will physically fit. You need a tranny from a 2wd vehicle with a 4.2 V6 or a 302. The Triton V8 (4.6, 5.4) has a different bellhousing pattern so that rules out the Lincoln or the CVPI. From an electrical standpoint, I can't help you there.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why a 4r70w?

Old 09-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by offroadn'98
why a 4r70w?
That's what it had originally. The trans from the E150 didn't fit right and the pressure from the torque converter pushed my crankshaft forward and it wrecked my engine. I'm replacing the engine and I don't want it to happen again. What trans would you recommend?

Old 09-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Thanks for your help glc, it's been an adventure trying to find what fits and what doesn't.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:09 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
What tranny is that out of an E150 - and what year and engine?

Old 09-23-2010, 12:23 AM
After some research. It looks like that was kinda in those years where they were trying to switch the engine lineup over to modular motor. I wikipedia'd it. It says 4r70w were adapted to fit the old aod bellhousing. I would think your gonna just have to find the exact one from a 95 5.0 f150. Or you could just put a different motor in. Switch it over to modular 4.6/5.4w/the trans that would be cool.

The AOD was redesigned with electronic controls in 1991, becoming the AODE. It was mainly intended for the new Modular V8 at first, but it was also adapted to the old AOD bell-housing for vehicles still powered by OHV engines. While the AOD and AODE/4R70W share some basic components like oil pans, gear sets (AODs and AODE can be retrofit with 4R70W gear sets), most of the internals are not interchangeable because the 4R70W and AODE use electronic solenoids to shift instead of conventional hydraulics. The transmissions are not interchangeable either, as the AOD only uses a throttle valve cable for operation. The AODE and 4R70W's shift points are controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) also sometimes referred to as the Electronic Engine Control (EEC).

Last edited by offroadn'98; 09-23-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by glc
What tranny is that out of an E150 - and what year and engine?
When I replaced the trans oil and filter last year, the guy at autozone said it was a '91 E150. I bought the truck like this and I had no idea it had that tranny in it.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Thanks for your help offroadn'98.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Are you absolutely, positively sure that your truck came with the 4R70W?

It's a whole lot more likely that if there really is a transmission in there from a 91 E150 that it's an E4OD transmission and that your truck actually came originally with an E4OD transmission. The work to swap in either an AOD or E4OD, which are your choices from a 91 E150, if your truck actually was originally equipped with a 4R70W would be stupid and I doubt that it what happened. If it did though then you aren't just going to be able to bolt in a 4R70W and go. You will have to undo what has been changed.

I think that when you look into it you will find that your truck came with an E4OD. What is the transmission code on the door tag? Lets start with that.

Darrin

Old 09-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
Are you absolutely, positively sure that your truck came with the 4R70W?

It's a whole lot more likely that if there really is a transmission in there from a 91 E150 that it's an E4OD transmission and that your truck actually came originally with an E4OD transmission. The work to swap in either an AOD or E4OD, which are your choices from a 91 E150, if your truck actually was originally equipped with a 4R70W would be stupid and I doubt that it what happened. If it did though then you aren't just going to be able to bolt in a 4R70W and go. You will have to undo what has been changed.

I think that when you look into it you will find that your truck came with an E4OD. What is the transmission code on the door tag? Lets start with that.

Darrin
The AOD was redesigned with electronic controls in 1991, becoming the AODE. It was mainly intended for the new Modular V8 at first, but it was also adapted to the old AOD bell-housing for vehicles still powered by OHV engines. While the AOD and AODE/4R70W share some basic components like oil pans, gear sets (AODs and AODE can be retrofit with 4R70W gear sets), most of the internals are not interchangeable because the 4R70W and AODE use electronic solenoids to shift instead of conventional hydraulics. The transmissions are not interchangeable either, as the AOD only uses a throttle valve cable for operation. The AODE and 4R70W's shift points are controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) also sometimes referred to as the Electronic Engine Control (EEC).

That seems like the reason he'd have a 4r70w to me. Im sure he's right.

Hope ya get it worked out.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm very new to this site, but have a 94' with the same makeup. Look in your door jamb for the factory specs, if the TRANS=U then yours should have came with the 4R70W.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by offroadn'98

That seems like the reason he'd have a 4r70w to me. Im sure he's right.

Hope ya get it worked out.
Lets look at this a little more closely because I don't want the poor guy to buy something that he can't use because the internet guys 'said so'. I have found that no matter what we guys say, it doesn't change reality and someone who spends money based off of what they were told isn't very appreciative if they have been misinformed and pay a lot for something that they can't use.

That said, I based my questions here off of a lot of actual experience. These vehicles and transmissions are my living. With that in mind, know that I didn't ask him that question about whether he is sure that he has a 4R70W in there or not without a very good reason. That reason is that he said that he has a transmission out of a 91 E series in there now and that is key. His 95 F150 absolutely came with an electronically controlled transmission if it was originally equipped with an automatic. Knowing that, there was only 1 electronically controlled automatic transmission that can be shared between a 91 E series and a 95 F series 5.0 truck. That transmission is the E4OD.

So, it would be a good idea for the OP to go and count the bolts on the pan of the transmission that is in his truck. I am betting the number is 20. Either that or he got bad info about where the transmission that is in his truck now came from. The transmission code from the door jamb will tell what the truck is supposed to have, but someone could have really done some work and put a different transmission than was stock in place.

Heck, there may even be an AOD in there and that would have 14 pan bolts. Computer wouldn't like that much though, but stranger things have been done for sure.

Lets just positively find out what he has for sure before we try to tell him what he needs is all I am saying.

Darrin

Old 09-23-2010, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
Lets look at this a little more closely because I don't want the poor guy to buy something that he can't use because the internet guys 'said so'. I have found that no matter what we guys say, it doesn't change reality and someone who spends money based off of what they were told isn't very appreciative if they have been misinformed and pay a lot for something that they can't use.

That said, I based my questions here off of a lot of actual experience. These vehicles and transmissions are my living. With that in mind, know that I didn't ask him that question about whether he is sure that he has a 4R70W in there or not without a very good reason. That reason is that he said that he has a transmission out of a 91 E series in there now and that is key. His 95 F150 absolutely came with an electronically controlled transmission if it was originally equipped with an automatic. Knowing that, there was only 1 electronically controlled automatic transmission that can be shared between a 91 E series and a 95 F series 5.0 truck. That transmission is the E4OD.

So, it would be a good idea for the OP to go and count the bolts on the pan of the transmission that is in his truck. I am betting the number is 20. Either that or he got bad info about where the transmission that is in his truck now came from. The transmission code from the door jamb will tell what the truck is supposed to have, but someone could have really done some work and put a different transmission than was stock in place.

Heck, there may even be an AOD in there and that would have 14 pan bolts. Computer wouldn't like that much though, but stranger things have been done for sure.

Lets just positively find out what he has for sure before we try to tell him what he needs is all I am saying.

Darrin
Sorry
The 91 e series trans didn't work(he said it wrecked his motor) and you said that the only electronic transmission that was interchangable between the E and F was the e4od. Does that mean he could still have a 4r70w and a 4r70w from a e van would not work and thats why it wrecked his motor?

Old 09-24-2010, 08:04 AM
Well the most important thing here is that there wasn't an option for a 4R70W in any 91 E series van. That is why I say that if the transmission really came from a 91 E series that the only option for an electronically controlled transmission that would also work in his truck is an E4OD because it was offered in both of those vehicles in those years. It was the only electronically controlled transmssion that fits that bill.

I also don't think the problem he encountered was with the transmission being the "wrong" transmission either. Ford has been at this a long time and as long as the parts physically fit then that is usually because it's a setup that the factory has done at one time or another. Meaning that the clearances will usually be ok. In this particular type of thing, if there is a problem then it will usually show up when someone tries to bolt it all together and then can't turn the engine because the converter has no clearance.

It sounds like the most likely scenario here is that the torque converter ballooned and the engine suffered a thrust bearing failure.

Darrin

Quick Reply: What 4r70w transmissions fit a '95 F150 2wd?