OD light flashing and hard shifts

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '97 F-250 4x4, 5.4, with an E4OD trans. Truck has about 166000 on it. Fluid is changed regularly including draining the torque converter. I do tow occasionally with it but I turn the OD off.
This afternoon it suddenly started shifting real hard. When is shifts it feels like I was hit from behind. Then the OD light started flashing. I drove home easy and there I checked the fluid level. It was full, looked clear and smelled OK, no burnt almond smell. I shut it down for a couple minutes, restarted it and the light was out. Took it for a drive and it shifted normally.

Any ideas where to start looking????

Old 05-02-2010, 01:42 PM
I checked around some other sites and one recommendation was to clean and lube the electrical connections on the trans.
This morning I did just that. Took it for a drive and the OD light started flashing with hard shifts

What could it be??

Old 05-03-2010, 12:21 AM
I had this happen earlier this week on a 90's f150... maybe this will help you, not sure though. I realized that when i was starting the truck i was turning the tabs around the key too far. The chrome thing that the key slides into... not sure what its called. When i lined that up with the key, even while driving, it cured it immediately. If its loose it might be time for a new one. Hope this helps!

Old 05-06-2010, 08:06 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Go get the codes read - and you need a high end scanner, not an Autozone special.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Sorry I didn't get back sooner. My job has kept me very busy.

Ok, here's what happened....
Monday May 3rd I managed to get it to work then drove it to a local trans shop. I just barely made it. It was shuddering real bad.
Trans shop called me next day and said the codes indicated a bad torque converter. But he needed my permission to pull the trans and disassemble to look for other damage. I gave permission. Next day he called and wanted to see me.
When the torque converter went the trans fluid flushed the trash all through the system. Everything was coated with a black sibstance. I did many fluid changes as a mechanic and did all my own fluid changes on this truck and never saw anything like this. The substance was gritty.
The solenoid block was full of it causing the valves to stick and hang up. The valve body was full of it too. He said if the TQ hadn't let go the trans would have lasted a long time.
The estimate was far more than I imagined, 2700. But I knew the guy was being straight with me. So I said "fix it".
Got it back this past Tuseday. Runs great! Shifts real smooth.
So far, so good. I go back next Friday for an inspection.

Thanks for the ideas and consideration.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
$2700 isn't a bad deal for a properly done rebuild on that transmission honestly. Best wishes on it and hopefully they got it straightened out for you for the long term.

Darrin

Old 06-11-2019, 01:33 PM

I just fixed this problem. Shift solenoid. Dop the pan end filter. Easy.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:10 PM

I just fixed this problem. Shift solenoid. Drop the pan and filter. Easy.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:55 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
This issue was fixed 9 years ago, and if you read post #5, the cause was very different than what your problem was.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:27 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
dayum...a tranny costs $2500......IIRC i had about $700 in mine....and 1 case of beer AND about 14 hrs from drive in to drive out..... but i hadn't done an automatic in 20+ yrs either. And THANKYOU to a couple folks HERE!!!! for some very fine info.

Quick Reply: OD light flashing and hard shifts