cooler fittings

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cooler fittings

Replaced all the cooler lines and got to the aux cooler(factory) and the fittings are different then the cooler,cooler fitting is 3/8 and the line is 5/16.

I went to 3 auto stores and a hardware to find a reducer with no luck. I did find one but the depth of the female end wasn't deep enough for the line fitting (1/4" shoulder before threads start).

Help.... is this going to be a fitting im not going to find ? ,what are my options?

I have one more place to check out(mid-state bolt&screw) for this fitting and if they don't have it I don't know...

any help?..

rick

Old 04-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
huh.. no one else ran into this?

Well... after being perched in a Napa stool for a hour and 5 20 yr vets getting a finger on it in between walk-ins ,we came up with this..

They called their rep with no luck why the line is 5/16 and not 3/8, even searched different models and years but no 3/8 line ..all come up for the line I have 5/16..hmmmm

So then they called Doorman (maker of the lines) and give them the issue. They said hmm thats what it calls for . They said it could be a change during that yr build but there was no listing for a conversion nether.

So... if you need a 3/8 line from the radiator to the aux cooler your going to need one custom made. ...which I did.
I took my old line to a hydraulic place and they made one using the old fittings ....fits like a glove . cost was 54.00 for the line to the cooler and the return one coming out

Not sure if you order Ford factory on what you will get far as the size line since there's no spec's for it on line , but if you order a Doorman brand line then your going to get the 5/16 line .

To me this sounds like a supplier goof and they figured that all the lines are 5/16 and made them all 5/16....fits good just the wrong size!!

Hope this helps a future f-150er when they need a new trans line

snow

Quick Reply: cooler fittings