2001 F150 Transmission

Old 03-16-2010, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 F150 Transmission

I have a 2001 F150 extended cab, the transmission went out, I have a chance to buy a transmission from a 2002 f150 are they the same transmission both vehicles have a 4.2 liter engine also can a dealer identify a transmission from a VIN

Old 03-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
That will work fine and should be a straight swap.

The biggest considerations on these truck transmissions are that are from the same series, they have the same bellhousing pattern and the same amount of drive wheels on the vehicles. As long as you have that convered then they can be pretty easily swapped.

Darrin

Old 03-16-2010, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, I will be calling the guy who has the transmission for sale to insure that it is a F150, 2 wheel drive

Old 03-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Well I picked up my transmission yesterday and will attempt to install it on Monday. I'm sure there is a proper order in which I should attempt this so if any one has a cheat sheet on How to remove the transmission can you post it for me. This will be my first transmission job....

Thanks in advance

Old 03-17-2010, 08:51 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
The first thing you should do is buy a repair manual for the vehicle. A $20 Haynes or Chiltons should tell you how to R&R the transmission. If they aren't shrinkwrapped, page through one at the store to verify. You could also probably find some kind of shop manual in the reference section at the public library.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:14 AM
I have one , it seem to deal with manual transmission removal.

So I guess my big question is

1) when removing the transmission is it necessary to remove the torque converter or can I just remove the transmission and leave the torque converter in place

Or will it be better to remove the torque converter and the transmission all at the same time

I know that will need to remove the Bell housing bolts
I also know how to access the converter bolts

was just wondering which way is best

Old 03-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Ok, removing the transmission with the converter still attached to the flexplate is physically possible, but the worst idea you could have in this process. Bad, bad, bad. DO NOT do that. Absolutely 100% positively remove them together. Period and end of story on that.

So...

First disconnect the battery and pull the transmission dipstick.

Then remove the inspection plate at the bottom front of the transmission that is held on by 2 bolts and the little rubber plug on the transmission bellhousing. Look on the drivers side of the block, about where the starter would go if it weren't on the other side of the engine, and remove that plug as well. You can easily reach the converter nuts through that hole by putting an 18mm socket on the bolt on the crank nose and turning clockwise ONLY to get to each of the nuts. There are 4 nuts. Done here.

Remove the 3 starter bolts pull it out a little and prop it. The top bolt will give you fits. Done here.

Drain the pan at some point before the next step.

Drop any exhaust that interferes (make sure to unhook the o2 sensors before you stretch the wires past their shorter than should be limits) and remove the driveshaft.

Support the transmission and remove the crossmember.

Disconnect all electricals and linkage from the transmission.

Lower the tail of the transmission and remove 7 13mm head bolts.

Wiggle the transmission loose and remove it.

That's most of it off the top of my head and I am sure I forgot several things. Probably something obvious even, but I am sitting at home on the couch watching tv with my wife, so...

Darrin

Old 03-21-2010, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the step by step, tomorrow is the big day to start on this project I'm sure I will be posting more question

Thanks for all the good advice

Old 03-24-2010, 09:27 AM
Well I was able to remove the transmission and re install I'm going to change the fluid and filter tonight.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:22 PM
Transmission Gone

My tranny took a dump after only 111,000 miles ! Way early imo. Anyways, have a mechanic thats going to install a Jasper back into it for approx. $2700.00 !

Was just wondering if this sounded like a fair price ?

Checked Jasper's price for the Tranny online, $2070.00. I know its a lot of dinero's, but this is my main transportation and plan on keeping it for a long time plus a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty helped me bite the bullet !

Was quoted prices anywhere from $1600 to $2000 for a rebuild w/ 12 month warranty.

BTW..........2001 F150 4.6

Old 03-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by RDALEV
My tranny took a dump after only 111,000 miles ! Way early imo. Anyways, have a mechanic thats going to install a Jasper back into it for approx. $2700.00 !

Was just wondering if this sounded like a fair price ?
Considering the base price of the transmission, that is a fair price to have it shipped and installed. The reason for the higher base price on the transmission is that warranty, which does give you exactly what they say it does when you have to use it. I know that much.

What I have no input at all on is the actual quality of the product and don't take that as any sort of negative statement. I have never had the chance to look inside one to see what they do and how they do it and I haven't heard any actual feedback other than the guy that told me that their warranty covers what it says. I am guessing that it's a decent product for a stock powered daily driver though.

When you get it, let us know how it goes. This is something that I would really like to see some feedback on both initial impression and long term usage and how it holds up.

Take care
Darrin

Last edited by Darrin Burch; 03-26-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:09 AM
Question Fluid Change

Ok I have the transmission back in and pulled the pan, there is a small plastic ball with a stem in the botton of the transmission pan what is this and where does it go

Old 03-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by DIGGERATL
Ok I have the transmission back in and pulled the pan, there is a small plastic ball with a stem in the botton of the transmission pan what is this and where does it go
Oh God no, not that!

There is a sticky at the top of this forum that deals with this issue.

Sorry in advance. You will understand why I said I am sorry when you read the sticky.

Here is a link

https://www.f150online.com/forums/tr...ranny-pan.html

Darrin

Old 03-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Talking Yellow sticky thing

Thanks for the link, guess I'm not the only dummy.... , well tonight I will get to add the transmission fluid and hope it works. Will update this post on Monday.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
Considering the base price of the transmission, that is a fair price to have it shipped and installed. The reason for the higher base price on the transmission is that warranty, which does give you exactly what they say it does when you have to use it. I know that much.

What I have no input at all on is the actual quality of the product and don't take that as any sort of negative statement. I have never had the chance to look inside one to see what they do and how they do it and I haven't heard any actual feedback other than the guy that told me that their warranty covers what it says. I am guessing that it's a decent product for a stock powered daily driver though.

When you get it, let us know how it goes. This is something that I would really like to see some feedback on both initial impression and long term usage and how it holds up.

Take care
Darrin

Will let you know how it goes. My Mechanic, who I trust, told me any fixes or updates that have been made on the original factory tranny, since 2001, will have been made on the Jasper !

Will keep you posted .

BTW......didn't mean to hijack the thread, just thought since we were both talking about 2001 trannys, it would be a good place to post this !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 F150 Transmission