Transmission cooler

Old 03-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission cooler

Does anyone recommend an aftermarket tranny cooler? I have the factory one on my 04 with the towing package but I would like to upgrade to a better/bigger unit.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:48 PM
glc
Received 755 Likes on 701 Posts
Old 03-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why?? Are you doing some super-duper towing and monitoring your tranny temps, thus discovering that you're having major overheating issues?? If you have the towing package cooler, that cooler is pretty darn efficient and about the same size as most large aftermarket ones.

Plus keep in mind, your truck has a thermostat on it to prevent fluid flow to the cooler until the fluid is up to a certain temp. What I'm getting at here is throwing a bigger cooler on there just for the sake of it accomplishes nothing. On top of that, tranny fluid is not something you want to keep as cold as possible...you can have tranny fluid too cool. Not likely on your truck with the factory thermostat, but a point none the less.

If you are doing some really heavy towing and have a good temp gauge and know for sure you need a bigger cooler, then please disregard my comments.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck puts down a good bit of power, and the transmission gets to hot after a full throttle blast down the road. I smoked the stock one, had another one built but my torque converter was to big and it burnt up

Since I'm gonna redo the converter anyways, I would like to have a little added insurance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission cooler