Heavy-Duty (7-lug) F-150s have larger transmission cooler?

Old 06-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heavy-Duty (7-lug) F-150s have larger transmission cooler?

I believe I remember reading that the heavy duty F-150's (7-lug wheels) use a larger transmission cooler than the non-heavy duty trucks. If so, is the larger cooler a direct replacement for the smaller non-heavy duty trucks?

I have a 2007 FX4. I plan on installing a remote PermaCool spin-on oil filter w/ temp gauge. While I have the lines disconnected I thought about upgrading the factory cooler size. Recomendations? Suggestions? I would like to stay w/ an OEM cooler and plan on using all threaded fittings w/ ss braided line... no hose clamps.

Also, does anyone have a part # for the 7-lug truck transmission cooler?

Thanks,
Rich

Old 06-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd find out what your current temps are with the stock cooler first . The new ones are pretty good sized out of the box and if they were inadequate, Ford would not have installed them in the first place??

I've got a '97 with the factory cooler and it's TINY compared to the new 'stock' ones... Yet, my trans temps rarely get over 180*, even towing my TT in the Summer.. Sure, it's gotten to 210* at times, but that's only for short periods of time on a long grade and since I'm taking my trans temp from the trans OUTPUT line (not the pan) that's the MAX temp of the fluid BEFORE it hits any cooler....

If you are still curious about the 'size' difference between the "HD" version, then just go to a Local Ford Parts desk and ask them to pull one off the shelf for you.. Measure it up and compare to yours. It's free and you'll find out what the cost of it is too..

Unless you are towing heavy on a daily basis or your temps are just really high for whatever reason (like you live near Hell or something, ) I'd hold off on 'upgrading' the cooler for now...

Mitch

Old 06-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Yes it is bigger than the "standard" trucks. It costs roughly $40 more for the heavy duty transmission oil cooler.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Can you define "standard" ?

Don't know if you are talking about sans tow package, or with the tow package.

Thanks

Old 06-19-2009, 11:02 PM

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Can you define "standard" ?

Don't know if you are talking about sans tow package, or with the tow package.

Thanks
Yes, standard is WITHOUT tow package.

The SAME heavy duty cooler is included on the 6 lug trims with TOW and ANY 7 lug trim.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't know or think your body style truck had any differences like the pre '04 body style?? I thought the tranny coolers on your trucks were all the same.

Last edited by Galaxy; 06-23-2009 at 01:49 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heavy-Duty (7-lug) F-150s have larger transmission cooler?