Yellow plunger sitting loose in tranny pan ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change the tranny oil or not?

I just bought a 2007 F150 I checked the transmission dip stick and saw the oil looked a bit dark but still red.It has 55k on it and I don't know if the truck has had a transmission oil change or not. Some say that if you don't do it at 30k don't do it at all because all the gunk in the old oil will come out in the new fresh oil and cause problems. Should I change it or not?

Also I think i have slight transmission slip when down shift from 2-1 or 4-2 it slips/grinds sometimes. Can i do anything about that as well? What can i do to help this not happen?

Old 11-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CMH F150
I just bought a 2007 F150 I checked the transmission dip stick and saw the oil looked a bit dark but still red.It has 55k on it and I don't know if the truck has had a transmission oil change or not. Some say that if you don't do it at 30k don't do it at all because all the gunk in the old oil will come out in the new fresh oil and cause problems. Should I change it or not?

Also I think i have slight transmission slip when down shift from 2-1 or 4-2 it slips/grinds sometimes. Can i do anything about that as well? What can i do to help this not happen?
That's a bunch of BS about changing/flushing it.
If it were mine i'de drop the pan and change the filter.Or,you can just have both done,filter change and flush.
About the slipping/grinding,that should be checked out by a shop.If you do have it checked hold off on the fluid change just in case you need major work done.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:58 PM
I have change the oil before on another F150 so I can do it fairly quick. I have read other post and alot of people are experiencing the same problem as mine. My warranty expires in 5k how would I have the dealer fix something like this under warranty before it expires?

Old 11-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CMH F150
I have change the oil before on another F150 so I can do it fairly quick. I have read other post and alot of people are experiencing the same problem as mine. My warranty expires in 5k how would I have the dealer fix something like this under warranty before it expires?
If you still have a warranty just take it Ford,tell them the problem,and they diagnose it and give you the results.If it is a major tranny problem then they fix it,rebuild it,or replace it.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Last month I bought a 1999 F250 4x4 with 150,000 miles. I bought it for a plow truck and have been going through it making repairs to get ready for winter(one was a dead odometer, I found the solution here on f150online.com, thanks!). I want to change the auto transmission oil and filter. I know from the door codes it has a E4OD tranny, but what I don't know, and haven't been able to find on the forums, is if it has a shallow or deep pan? I don't have another F250 auto to compare it to.
Can anybody give me a spec or dimension for each? I need to know so I can pick up a filter before I drop the pan. Thanks!

Old 11-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by NEPA_guy
Last month I bought a 1999 F250 4x4 with 150,000 miles. I bought it for a plow truck and have been going through it making repairs to get ready for winter(one was a dead odometer, I found the solution here on f150online.com, thanks!). I want to change the auto transmission oil and filter. I know from the door codes it has a E4OD tranny, but what I don't know, and haven't been able to find on the forums, is if it has a shallow or deep pan? I don't have another F250 auto to compare it to.
Can anybody give me a spec or dimension for each? I need to know so I can pick up a filter before I drop the pan. Thanks!
Your trans filter should be a popular filter part at any auto parts store.Can you just drop the pan and use another vehicle or get a ride to the parts store to compare it to in stock filters? Either that or look at the trans code on the drivers door decal and post it here or call Ford and ask them.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:49 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I believe a 1999 would be a 4R100, not a E4OD. Basically the same transmission but there may be some minor differences.

It may make a difference whether you have a F-250 Light Duty or a F-250 Super Duty. It may also make a difference whether you have 2wd or 4wd. However, Rock Auto lists a Motorcraft FT113 for everything.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:41 AM
Thanks guys. I guess I'll have to raise it up on the lift and take a closer look at it. I asked this question because I see the pan has a drain plug (I'm not used to seeing a drain plug on tranny oil pans), and the pan looks like it is almost 3 inches deep. I'm not even sure it is a factory original pan? I do know it has 20 bolts. The truck is a 1999 F250 LD with a 5.4L EFI, and the door code under "TR" is "E". I also suspect it has a tow package because it has a hitch, but that's just a guess.

Last edited by NEPA_guy; 11-03-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:16 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I wouldn't even worry about the filter - just drain the pan and torque converter. That's a 4R100. That's most likely an aftermarket pan, and it may take as much as 20 quarts to service with a complete drain. With a factory pan, it would take 17 quarts.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by glc
I wouldn't even worry about the filter - just drain the pan and torque converter. That's a 4R100. That's most likely an aftermarket pan, and it may take as much as 20 quarts to service with a complete drain. With a factory pan, it would take 17 quarts.
I agree with glc on draining the converter and the trans.But,if it were me,i'de change the filter too.With a 155K miles who knows when the filter was last changed and the pan cleaned.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:37 AM
no filter change?

Originally Posted by glc
No filter change, even with 150,000 showing on the odometer?
I don't know the maintenance history (or lack of maintenance )
Judging from some of the other things I have had to fix on this (can you say "hammer mechanic?"), I hate to assume all is well inside the tranny. I'd sleep better, and feel better when I push snow, if it had a new filter and oil.
I have it on the lift, so removing the pan is not a problem.
I appreciate your advise. Thanks!

Old 11-03-2011, 10:40 AM
filter change

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
I agree with glc on draining the converter and the trans.But,if it were me,i'de change the filter too.With a 155K miles who knows when the filter was last changed and the pan cleaned.
The extra oil doesn't bother me. It will go in the waste oil burner tank, which is only 1/4 full now!

Old 11-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Thumbs up

I just talked to my Ford tech friend and he said it is a E40D trans and the pan did come with a drain plug from the factory in 1999.BTW,Auto Zone has the filter for $17.99 under part # TF-350.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:06 AM
A/T filter change

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
I just talked to my Ford tech friend and he said it is a E40D trans and the pan did come with a drain plug from the factory in 1999.BTW,Auto Zone has the filter for $17.99 under part # TF-350.
Thanks. I would rather spend the $18 for a filter. I prefer to err on the side of caution.
I still remember those old Fram oil filter commercials where the guy used to say "You can pay me now, or you can pay me later!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq3wL8ZXjBU

Old 11-03-2011, 04:08 PM
I lifted my truck up on the hoist this afternoon and snapped this pic of the transmission oil pan.
Maybe some of you seasoned veterans can tell me if this is a "deep" or "shallow" oil pan?

I pulled the pan on Sunday (11/6). No yellow plug, and it looks quite clean inside!

Last edited by NEPA_guy; 11-07-2011 at 07:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Yellow plunger sitting loose in tranny pan ???