2002 F150 V8 4.6L 4x2 Auto 5spd Tranny Valve Body Issues

Old 09-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 F150 V8 4.6L 4x2 Auto 5spd Tranny Valve Body Issues

Hello everyone, this is my first post. But I am desperate.

I went on a camping trip recently and after getting back by truck has been acting up. Sometimes when I am at a dead stop and I take off the RPM's hit 1000 and the speedo goes up to 5 miles and hour, then it feels like the truck is in neutral.....and then around 2000rpms bam gear kicks in. There are no problems after this. Crusing on the highway is a non issue. On slowing down between 2nd and 1st gear shifts theres a bit of hesitation.

In reverse the truck just stopped as if it were in park, this has happened only once and I cannot recreate the issue. The OD light keeps blinking in a rhythm as well.

I have about 86k miles on this truck and it isnt really used to do any real work except the once a year camping trip.

I took it to the local ford dealer and explained the problem. They hooked it up to their computer and at the time told me their computer was going all crazy with all sorts of codes, etc. They recommended a compelte replacement of the tranny for about $3000. They charged me 100 dollar diagnostic fee, I told them not to do any work and I wanted a second opinion. Upon picking my truck up, there are no issues, I am still cautious and not driving it.

Their diagnostic was garbage basically had all the info I gave them and no computer codes, and had a list of parts I needed?! Thats not a diagnostic. I called them today and demanded a proper diagnostic report with the computer codes. The guy gave me a code of 7A100 Valve Body bonding issue. Thats BS because that isnt a ford code.... I feel like the Ford Dealer was out to screw me.

The more I think about it the less I am inclined to buy a Ford ever again with their crappy unprofessional service staff.

My truck is well maintained and had a tranny fuid flush and 60k mile full service done at the same dealer at about 65k miles.

Anyone have any info that can help me with this fix? Is my tranny really shot, or is it a sensor or selanoid? Someone please help. I live in Orange County, California and would graciously accept a suggestion on where to take my truck to get it fixed.

Thanks!

Last edited by OSU Poke F150; 09-25-2008 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Your right sorry 4spd!
Old 09-25-2008, 12:49 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Where did you find a F-150 with a 5 speed auto? They never came with one as far as I know.

Take it to a good transmission shop or a different dealer if you don't like what the dealer is telling you. Have you ever had the fluid changed/flushed?

Old 09-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Where did you find a F-150 with a 5 speed auto? They never came with one as far as I know.

Take it to a good transmission shop or a different dealer if you don't like what the dealer is telling you. Have you ever had the fluid changed/flushed?
Haha oops your right it is a 3 spd with overdrive..... I had the tranny fluid flushed at about 65k miles.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
It's a four speed automatic transmission, a 4R70W by name.

The first thing to do is have someone with a Ford specific scan tool read the codes. The places that read codes free don't have the right tool to be able to read Ford trans codes. When the OD light blinked a code was stored in the computer's memory. It will stay there for a long time after the last time the light flashed. That's the best way to start diagnosing what's wrong.

It isn't Ford's unprofessional service staff, it's that dealer. All dealers are independant businesses, and Ford has almost no control over what they do. If you don't like that dealer, don't put down every dealer. Some are good, some are outstanding, and some should be out of business they are so bad.

Last edited by Mark Kovalsky; 09-25-2008 at 01:34 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 F150 V8 4.6L 4x2 Auto 5spd Tranny Valve Body Issues