4R70W TOT resistance check

Old 07-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4R70W TOT resistance check

hi I'm trying to diagnose trouble with my 97 F150 auto tranny. I found a matching female wire harness connector and ran long leads out of it and labeled each according to the tech manual. So far I tested both shift solenoids and they test fine but when I go to test resistance across the TOT sensor a get nothing. Anyone have any thoughts about what might cause this?
By the way I only have reverse and 2nd ?

Old 07-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Well, that drivability symptom has nothing to do with the TOT......

If you get "nothing", then you either have a short circuit (nothing=zero) or an open circuit (infinite resistance=no reading=nothing"

You need to quantify what you are reading, not give vague generalities that do not have a specific technical meaning.

Steve

Old 07-22-2008, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the tech manual and based on the fact that it is in no shift default mode I figured it must be something eletrical, solenoid, tot, mlps etc. The tech manual tells you what resistance readings each component should have and while going through the checks I got to the TOT and get no reading. I thought it was strange and thought maybe someone might have an idea of what might cause my symptoms.
thanks

Old 07-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Steve told you the two possibilities with your vague description of "nothing." Does that mean you have an open circuit (meter reading infinite resitance) or do you have a short circuit (meter reading zero resistance?) Either one is wrong.

The TOT sensor is a high resistance device. If your meter is set on too low of a range it won't get a reading. I forget the actual resistance, but it is in the several megohm range.

Assuming that your problem is electrical may not be right. There are plenty of mechanical failures that can also cause what you're seeing. The problem can also be in the electrical outside of the transmission.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4R70W TOT resistance check