hurst shifter on M5OD-R2

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you read my signature you would see it is a 1990 300 inline six with 247k miles on it, all original. The only thing that was replaced was the clutch at 241k and even that could have lasted longer.
There is more of a problem with the hydraulic slave cylinder preventing good shifting than the trans itself.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:01 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
And a lot of balky shifting issues are actually caused by a sticky pilot bearing.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by russo2
If you read my signature you would see it is a 1990 300 inline six with 247k miles on it, all original. The only thing that was replaced was the clutch at 241k and even that could have lasted longer.
There is more of a problem with the hydraulic slave cylinder preventing good shifting than the trans itself.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think the trans in your truck is the M5ODR2, is it? that's the one with the problems i've been reading about, and posting about..
and yes, you're right, the original shifting issue begins with the slave cylinder. This problem can, maybe even tends to, escalate into a host of other problems so that just fixing the slave cylinder can still leave you with shifting issues. which you won't know until after you put the trans back in and drive. From what i've read, once you have to pull the trans out, you should at least pull the top cover off and inspect the forks and rails, as well as inspecting the clutch, etc.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by glc
And a lot of balky shifting issues are actually caused by a sticky pilot bearing.
wouldn't that be replaced along with the slave cylinder?

Old 04-11-2011, 11:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Joethefordguy
correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think the trans in your truck is the M5ODR2, is it?
yes, the 9th gen trucks also used the M5OD-R2

Old 04-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Every f150 5 speed was the m5.
Ranger was the m5odr1 and any earlier than like 88 and it was all the old t-18 t-19 top loaders 4 speed granny gear stuff.
Pilot bearing is in the back end of the crank shaft, it should be replaced any time the trans is out like that, its cheap insurance.
You are probably thinking of the throw out bearing which would be replaced with the slave.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:38 AM
The M50D2 is a decent transmission like everyone is saying. If it is used within it's limits. I push my truck and pull more than what is recommended. Mine has taken a dump on me twice now. I am in the middle of putting a ZF6 in my truck. If you do stay with a manual I would go with the ZF5. A much more straight forward swap then the ZF6. I am going to be having to fab up some stuff on mine, but that is ok. This is the transmission I have always wanted in my truck. I have the 4.6 now, but am building a S/Ced 5.4 for my truck.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:37 PM
glc
wouldn't that be replaced along with the slave cylinder?
No - you are thinking about the throwout bearing. The pilot bearing is in the flywheel.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:01 AM
not buying

Originally Posted by five0merc
The M50D2 is a decent transmission like everyone is saying. If it is used within it's limits. I push my truck and pull more than what is recommended. Mine has taken a dump on me twice now. I am in the middle of putting a ZF6 in my truck. If you do stay with a manual I would go with the ZF5. A much more straight forward swap then the ZF6. I am going to be having to fab up some stuff on mine, but that is ok. This is the transmission I have always wanted in my truck. I have the 4.6 now, but am building a S/Ced 5.4 for my truck.
as the owner of one going south at less than 70K, I'll never believe the M5ODR2 is anything more than a pos fraud from ford when it's installed in an F150. as to "everyone" saying it's good, you make two i have found. the overwhelming proportion of naysayers I've read about it all say exactly the opposite. I'd have to believe I've been lucky enough to read from almost entirely just the owners that have had a bad time with it, until now. I don't believe that. If i find a large number of comments going one way, and two going the other, I'm going to go with the popular vote, so to speak.
"Bad" may be a relative term. if 80% of the M5ODR2's have no problems until well over 100,000 miles, but 20% don't make that mark, that, to me, = POS. I would like to see numbers like 99% of them making it well past 100K before serious issues develop before i call it "good". it's probably not that bad, since Consumer Reports reports low overall problems with the F150, which numbers include M5 issues, but as the owner of one of the bad ones, I'm going to look at alternatives before i put any money into one that, i believe, will let me down very soon thereafter - if it is even fixed on the first try. from what i read, you can go cheap, replacing just the slave cylinder ("cheap" still = several hundred dollars before you drive home), and you still might have problems, or you can replace/rebuild everything between the rear main and the drive shaft so you know the problem is fixed the first time. not interested.

All that aside, why are you recommending the ZF5 when you're putting the ZF6 in yours? is it the difference in engine, the 4X4, the year, what? i have looked a little bit into swapping a ZF5 in, but haven't learned too much about it yet. I actually got more info for a tremec swap, but i probably won't do that just because of the price. i gave up the idea of the auto swap because the conversion appears too complicated to me, because of wiring harness, OEM steering column shift linkage, and computer differences... please correct me if I'm wrong about that. anybody building a supercharged 5.4 is definitely one up on me here. I'm a mathematician, not a mechanic. that's why i come to this forum and pester you guys.
any pointers you could provide on a ZF5 swap would be greatly appreciated, including places to look for more info. I haven't been able to find out very much.
thanks for your time.
jg

Last edited by Joethefordguy; 04-14-2011 at 02:13 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:05 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
as the owner of one going south at less than 70K, I'll never believe the M5ODR2 is anything more than a pos fraud from ford when it's installed in an F150. as to "everyone" saying it's good, you make two i have found. the overwhelming proportion of naysayers I've read about it all say exactly the opposite. I'd have to believe I've been lucky enough to read from almost entirely just the owners that have had a bad time with it, until now. I don't believe that. If i find a large number of comments going one way, and two going the other, I'm going to go with the popular vote, so to speak.
"Bad" may be a relative term. if 80% of the M5ODR2's have no problems until well over 100,000 miles, but 20% don't make that mark, that, to me, = POS. I would like to see numbers like 99% of them making it well past 100K before serious issues develop before i call it "good".

jg
What's the problem with yours? Did you buy your truck new or is it used? I hate to ask, but do you even know how to drive? I know 15...no....16 people off the top of my head that have the M5OD and praise it to death. Mine has 240,000 miles on it. I replaced the clutch @ 210K miles. And that was a HEAVY 210,000 miles. Pulling a 3,500# camper, 4 people, and a full bed on vacation every year, up the mountains. Daily driven to work, and frequently put to use. I'm happy with mine.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:16 AM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
What's the problem with yours? Did you buy your truck new or is it used? I hate to ask, but do you even know how to drive? I know 15...no....16 people off the top of my head that have the M5OD and praise it to death. Mine has 240,000 miles on it. I replaced the clutch @ 210K miles. And that was a HEAVY 210,000 miles. Pulling a 3,500# camper, 4 people, and a full bed on vacation every year, up the mountains. Daily driven to work, and frequently put to use. I'm happy with mine.
i got my license from a box of cracker jacks. what's it to you?
what, i don't come up to your standards, so you get to talk down to me? it's people like you that give these forums a bad name. learn some manners.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:19 AM
I am putting the ZF6 in mine because I have always wanted one and I got mine for a steal!! I paid 800 for the transmission and the transfer case (which is a manual shift and that is what I wanted as well). But the swap to a ZF5 is much easier. There have been a couple people on here that have done the swap. You need a BL, the slave cylinder, and might need a new drive shaft but not sure on the transmission length. On the 6 speed I need to move the crossmember get all new driveshafts with both ends being the flange instead of slip yoke like the ZF5, which your stock transfer case will bolt up too. You do need to get the transmission from behind a SD that had a 5.4 or the 6.8 V10. Here is the link to a guy who put a ZF5 into an expedition and also the link to my ZF6 swap. Mine isn't too far into it yet cause I got deployed right after I started, but I will be getting on it when I get back.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/tr...xpedition.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/tr...-zf6-swap.html

Old 04-14-2011, 02:23 AM
thanks!

Originally Posted by five0merc
I am putting the ZF6 in mine because I have always wanted one and I got mine for a steal!! I paid 800 for the transmission and the transfer case (which is a manual shift and that is what I wanted as well). But the swap to a ZF5 is much easier. There have been a couple people on here that have done the swap. You need a BL, the slave cylinder, and might need a new drive shaft but not sure on the transmission length. On the 6 speed I need to move the crossmember get all new driveshafts with both ends being the flange instead of slip yoke like the ZF5, which your stock transfer case will bolt up too. You do need to get the transmission from behind a SD that had a 5.4 or the 6.8 V10. Here is the link to a guy who put a ZF5 into an expedition and also the link to my ZF6 swap. Mine isn't too far into it yet cause I got deployed right after I started, but I will be getting on it when I get back.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/tr...xpedition.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/tr...-zf6-swap.html
awesome, thanks for the info. you mentioned the transfer case - I'm in a 2WD - will it matter? why that specific trans (SD with 5.4 or V10? what am i looking for? i've got the 4.2L V6, so i assume i'd have to replace the bell housing - r u saying those trucks bolt up like mine will?
if the answers to my questions are in the links, don't bother - I'll find out. in any case, thanks!

Old 04-14-2011, 02:34 AM
AHH I didn't realize you were a v6... I am not sure what you need for transmission then. I was saying those because the 4.6, 5.4, and 6.8 all have the same bellhousing pattern. You might want to look at a ZF5 from a mid to late 90's then. I do believe those had seperate bellhousing and transmissions. Then you can get a bellhousing to bolt up to the engine and tranny. You need to get a transmission from a 2 wheel drive as well. the back of the case is different between the 4X4 and 2 wheel drive. Which should make your transmission a bit cheaper. I would look on craigslist, and junk yards. For a bellhousing might want to call and talk to someone at advanced adapters to see if they can give you a little more information on that and what will be a direct bolt up.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:57 PM
glc
The only ZF that will bolt up to a 4.2 with 2wd is a ZF5 out of a 2wd with a 300 I6 or a 351. The 4.2 uses the old small block bolt pattern, which is different than the Triton pattern and the big block or diesel pattern.

Quick Reply: hurst shifter on M5OD-R2