New Clutch not engaging?

Old 12-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Clutch not engaging?

I recently had a new clutch installed by a mechanic because mine was worn almost to the rivets. It now jerks quite a bit while I am in different gears, and when I am in too high of a gear (3rd gear going 25mph) I here a knocking/banging and appears the clutch is not engaged and the flywheel is spinning faster than the clutch. Also, they did resurface the flywheel when they put the new clutch in. This started happening when my old clutch went out, but never before that. What is the noise I am hearing, and is this typical of breaking in a new clutch?

Old 12-05-2007, 11:16 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
No, none of that is typical. A new clutch should work very smoothly. Take it back and ask the mechanic to drive it.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:40 PM
did they also replace the pressure plate if they used the old one that could be a problem although they probobly replaced it, it oculd be that your slave/tob is not releasing all the back back and letting it slip but also unlikly, i also suggest taking it back since you payed to have it replaced it should work good

Old 12-05-2007, 03:14 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
25 in 3rd is hardly too high a gear. I run 25 in 4th all the time.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Suggest to take it back to the shop. None of what you describe is acceptable work.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:17 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
The only proper way to do a clutch job on these things is with a full kit - pressure plate, disc, release bearing/slave cylinder assembly, pilot bearing, and a bench flywheel grind.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Was it or was it not the clutch? who knows?

Something strange happened after I installed new spark plug wires. Just a few days ago, I had a misfire in cylinder #1. So my spark plug wires had never been changed out, and installed new wires. My clutch was acting funny, with it was banging in a low gear, and it jerking quite a bit.
I changed the wires out, and all the jerking of the truck and the banging sound has stopped. I dont know if I was getting misfires hear and there causing it to hesitate, or the clutch happened to seat at the same time.

We drove it real hard in all gears, and in 4 wheel drive (high and low), and everything ran just fine. I am dumbfounded by this! I'm glad its running right. Only 1 misfire sent to PCM computer, so not sure if it was misfires or not.

I will play the lottery tonight.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Clutch not engaging?