89 f150 transmission slipping

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 f150 transmission slipping

I got this truck with the transmission slipping. when I drive it and let off the gas the truck starts to slip. it only seems to slip when the rpms are to low. It also has to be revved up before the tranny will engage from a stop. I dont know if this is something I can fix or if the tranny is just bad and I need to change it. the truck has a 302 in it. the tranny says on top 53b. when the tranny hooks up it drives good. anyway any info will be great and thanks in advance.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:14 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
These are AOD transmissions with a TV control cable.
If that cable is off, miss adjusted or otherwise not in proper control of the transmission internal pressure, you are burning up the trans by running it this way.
Otherwise if the TV control is in place, the trans has other problems.
Don't drive it until you get the TV position and mounting checked out at the throttle body point and at the trans.
This controls internal pressures. If to low the clutched and bands slip and burn from lack of holding pressure.
These trans are not electric control.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went out and adjusted that and that was it. I got it to not slip it dont seem to shift right now but I will have to fine tune it a little. but that was what it was. Thank you so much!!! Your my hero Now I dont have to change the tranny.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Good to hear.
I know some life was taken out of the trans from this but in fine tuning in the absence of doing it with a pressure gage, make the setting so the 1 to 2 shift 'just' begins to get firm and you should be close enough.
Hopefully the trans will last a reasonable time but expect to have to do something with it some time.
Ususally the OD band takes the worst of this.
If it begins to slip in OD, just run in 3rd gear until you can get it fixed.
A complete OD band failure will also be noticable by not having engine braking in 3rd and 2nd. so watch for free wheeling in those gears if the OD fails completly.
Look at the fluid for smell and off color.
Good luck.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The damage done by the maladjusted TV cable is probably minor compared to what he's doing intentionally...

Originally Posted by cre8ur
I have a 89 f150 with a 302 in it. the tranny says 53b on the top of it but I think it is a C6. When I start out driving the tranny slips untill I rev it up and then it engages. It seems to slip when I go around corners. Now it has started to shift at the wrong time. It seems to shift into 2 way to early. that has just started after I changed the filter and fuild. If I get the tranny engaged I can do brake stand and the tranny dont slip at all, unless I let the truck move forward. Then it will act like it is in nuetral for about 20 seconds untill it engages again. I dont know if the tranny is shot or if this is something I can repair. Thanks in advance for any help

Old 07-20-2007, 01:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gotta love those brake stands lol.

Quick Reply: 89 f150 transmission slipping