Shifting problem with my E40D

Old 07-10-2007, 01:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifting problem with my E40D or 4R100.

I know the name says f150 online.but hopefully I can get some help for my 250.I have a 99 F-250 superduty with the powerstroke.the truck has 190000 miles on it.Some have said the trans is an E40d or a 4R100..
Here is my problem.when i first start the truck up and drive down the road the trans shifts perfect ,smooth and at a normal rpm.
once it gets up to normal tempature my problems begin,
1 the engine turns up to about 2700-2800 rpm before it will shift ,and then it shifts very hard.It seem second to third gear is the worse.
2 it also seems at times to---Hunt --- while it shifts.and finally the engine is lugging before it will downshift out of overdrive.I tow a 32 foot fifth wheel so the trans at times gets pulled very hard. The trans (to the best of my knowledge ) doesnt slip it tows well fluid is normal in color.I changed the filter and fluids just recently but it didnt seem to help.also I have no torgue shutter or anything of that nature and my od light is not flashing or on unless I turn the overdrive off
Everyone here seems to want to rebuild the trans .Other than a hard shift it works well.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by 99whiteford; 07-10-2007 at 01:21 AM. Reason: left something out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shifting problem with my E40D