Cannot get transmission pan to seal

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cannot get transmission pan to seal

Changed my transmission fluid and used a Ford OEM gasket to reassemble the pan and cannot get the pan to seal. It drips fluid enough to make me afraid that the transmission may run low. About a year prior to using the Ford OEM gasket I used a Parts Store rubber flat gasket and RTV and same thing happened. I managed for a year by topping up the fluid.
When I used the Ford OEM gasket I was careful to try to tighten the pan equally all around when it started engaging the gasket.
Anybody have the same problem? Is it possible my pan is warped so the seat is not consistently flat? Would appreciate help fixing this.
Thanks

Old 07-14-2007, 09:38 AM
You have probably bent the pan where the gasket goes. Take it off and use a small ball peen hammer, using the ball end gently hit ever hole until the pan appears flat again.
Alan

Old 07-14-2007, 03:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when u dropped the pan you probably let the pan drop down and hang by a few bolts right?? that fluid is heavy ya probably did bend where it was still bolted up. been there done that.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Also, make sure you torque your pan bolts evenly. Follow some sort of spiral or star sequence. I'm sure there's an official sequence somewhere, but as long as you use some sort of method to torque evenly you'll be alright.

Quick Reply: Cannot get transmission pan to seal