Auto trans pan leaks after torqued to spec.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto trans pan leaks after torqued to spec.

Last time I changed my trans fluid in my '97 F150 4.2L, I went to NAPA and got a good quality trans filter and gasket kit. Retorqued pan bolts to Ford books specs. Leaks like a bitch! Snugged them up a bit by hand. Better. Snugged again a little more better yet. How can a guy prevent this or make stop altogether??? Book says NOT to use gasket sealer.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Did you tighted them as you do a wheel. First it says on the pan that the factory gasket is reusable I think. When you tighten the pan you should start from the center and work your way out in a circular motion.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:53 PM
I always used a sealer on my tran pans and never had a torque wrench too torque them up.What I did was snugged them up then gave them a half turn and called it good.you may need a better gasket then what what came with the filter.Also on steel pans I would hammer round the bolt holes to so they would be flat and level around the pan.I used the red HiTack sealer on my gaskets and it always held good for me,now days everyone uses a rtv sealer on any thing they take apart and put back to gather,it is good if you don't use a lot of it.If you tighted the bolts too much you push the gasket out of line with the pan.You may need a new gasket now to stop the leak,if you didn't get it to stop after all the tighting you did.Do like BLACKNGOLD stated on the circular motion for tighting.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:55 PM
Suspended
I had the same problem. I tightned everything to specifications and it leaked. So I tightned more, still leaked. I tightned more and more until it finally stopped leaking anymore. As of now, I would be afraid to tighten more because it feels like it is on the verge of stripping the threads. I probably won't ever remove the pan again because I don't want to have to go through this again. It seems too risky to tighten this tight and i'm lucky I got away with it once.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Nothing is better thant the factory pan gasket. it is reuseable. If you threw it away go get a new one.
Alan

Old 06-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Reused my factory gasket now for the third time with no leaks at all. The aftermarkets that I've seen are trash. Factory is best.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:40 PM
maybe your torque wrench needs to be calibrated? I would definately use the factory gasket too.

Quick Reply: Auto trans pan leaks after torqued to spec.