how long..

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 06:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how long..

i have never been taught how to drive a stick, i bought my first manual and learned by trying to drive it off the lot. The way i have driven a stick until recently is when taking off i would rev the engine to around 1500 rpms or so, and let the clutch out, then when shifting between gear i would press the clutch pedal shift the the desired gear then rev the engine to about where it will be when i let the clutch back in. My 98 f-150 doesnt have a tach so i cant do either, when i take off i try to mesh the gas pedal and clutch pedal but i usually make the engine rattle a bit (i give it as little gas i i think i can to get it moving to reduce the wear on the clutch)and it takes about 1.5 to 2 seconds to get off the clutch pedal, and when i shift gears it i try to release the pedal as smoothly as possible to reduce the shock when i let the clutch in and it take about 1 second to let completely release the clutch when shifting gears. So am i taking too long?? i really need my clutch to last as long as i can, and the truck has 105,000 miles on it my uncle has had it for the past 20thousand miles. He has never had the clutch replaced so im assuming its the original to the vehicle and i tow 2200 pounds several times aweek (not to mention the backing the trailer up hill to put it away). So am i doing anything wrong??

Old 05-24-2007, 08:46 AM
You want to let the clutch out as quickly as possible while still staying smooth. All vehicles are different depending on rear end gears and what not so it all really depends. I had a 95 f150 straight 6, 5 speed that you litterally had to slip the clutch for like 3 seconds to get off the line due to the 2.73 gears and it's no big deal. Just stay smooth and don't ride the clutch, that's what'll kill it. And no, you don't need to have your rpm's up very high to take off or go between gears. Just do what feels natural for you and the truck.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gears

Originally Posted by Missouri_FX4
You want to let the clutch out as quickly as possible while still staying smooth. All vehicles are different depending on rear end gears and what not so it all really depends. I had a 95 f150 straight 6, 5 speed that you litterally had to slip the clutch for like 3 seconds to get off the line due to the 2.73 gears and it's no big deal. Just stay smooth and don't ride the clutch, that's what'll kill it. And no, you don't need to have your rpm's up very high to take off or go between gears. Just do what feels natural for you and the truck.
It sounds to me like you have a "tall" rear end. Look and the code on your door jamb under the word axle and then do and "axle code" search in the forums to see what gear ration you have. If it is less than 3:55 then you are working that clutch pretty hard.
Practice this way this weekend:
Instead of revving and riding the clutch, do this
as you release the clutch, do it slowoly. The moment you think the motor is going to stall, give a SMALL amount of gas and continue to release thje clutch slowly. Dont expect to have a "quick" take off. And with another 2200lbs, expect to go slower.
Practice EXACTLY what I said this weekend and in no time at all you will be shifting like a champ.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:02 PM
Well I would get your uncle to go for a ride with you and see what he thinks. And if you don't want to ask him or something like that, Tell him you think something if wrong with the truck and go with him for a little drive and see what and how he is doing it. But I can tell you this "Cuz I am a truck driver" You will smoke that cluch if you are not shifting it right when pulling or with any load in it.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exactly

Originally Posted by bigdad8214
Well I would get your uncle to go for a ride with you and see what he thinks. And if you don't want to ask him or something like that, Tell him you think something if wrong with the truck and go with him for a little drive and see what and how he is doing it. But I can tell you this "Cuz I am a truck driver" You will smoke that cluch if you are not shifting it right when pulling or with any load in it.
Follow this mans advice and practice what I said.
You WILL be purchasing a new clutch soon if you dont

Quick Reply: how long..