A Different Transfer Case Light Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy A Different Transfer Case Light Question

Amongst many other things, I just had the tranny rebuilt a couple months ago. I had a slightly higher stall speed torque converter and Factory Tech plate installed too.

I have never been very happy with the end result, but there was nothing specific I could nail down.

NOW I'm starting to have issues!
This morning both indicator lights [4x4] and [4lo] came on when I started my truck. It was in fact in 2hi, and won't even go into 4 wheel drive. Right after starting there was a clicking noise, perhaps a relay, coming from the dash. On the way home from work the indicators went out (while on the freeway).

When I got home, I checked and there were no codes thrown. This evening I started the truck to pull into the garage, and guess what, the indicator lights are on again. I also heard the clicking noise in the dash too.

I should add that a few days ago I had an isolated incident pulling away from a traffic light. The truck simply didn't move for a second or two, then sluggishly caught hold. It hasn't happened again.

More Info to consider: Initially after the rebuild I had the feeling that the truck was shifting WAY TOO SOON. I was in overdrive before getting up to 30mph. I thought this may be a side affect of adding a supercharger. However, since the transfer case lights came on, it's really taking it's time about changing gears. In fact, I've had to completely let up on the gas before it would shift. This is a '97 4R70 with electronic shift on the fly.

Is there anybody out there that can share some wisdom?

Old 05-18-2007, 12:20 AM
In all honesty I have to include that I installed an Outlaw CAI last night. It was pretty straight forward and a following test drive was fine.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:45 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The 4x4 selector switch sends a signal to the GEM to control the engagement of the t-case. The GEM grounds the bulbs in the instrument cluster when 4x4 Hi and Lo are selected. The GEM is sending a false signal or there is a short to ground in the wires to the instrument cluster bulbs. Does 4x4 work properly?

JMC

Old 05-22-2007, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the feed back. I should have already posted that I found the culprit.

After my initial post I also started having an occasional screeching, clunking sound. I believe the 4 wheel driving was "sort of" trying to engage at those times. Over the weekend I climbed under the truck to inspect. The electrical connector that goes to (what I'm assuming is) the 4 wheel drive actuator, was not completely plugged in. I plugged it in securely and my issues were resolved.

Now I'm going back to the tranny rebuilder and making them do a thorough check of the entire transmission/transfer case, including replacing fluids.

Last edited by billyw; 05-22-2007 at 01:23 PM.

Quick Reply: A Different Transfer Case Light Question