F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Transmissions (https://www.f150online.com/forums/transmissions-25/)
-   -   5R110 swapped into an 04 F150, possible? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/transmissions/284914-5r110-swapped-into-04-f150-possible.html)

BuyAmerican 05-04-2007 06:59 PM

5R110 swapped into an 04 F150, possible?

Forgive me if this has already been asked, Thanks to adrianspeeder for the "sticky" trans overview and in reference to that thread...

I used to work for a heavy equipment rental company and all of our truck chassis (flatbeds, dumps, etc.) were Ford SuperDuty's ranging from F350 to F750. When we got the new 6.0L deisels, they all had the 5 speed auto. I loved the way it performed; nice clean solid shifts never climbing above 1800 rpm and still had good acceleration (grant it was a deisel with far more off-idle torque than the gas 5.4 but I heard the 6.0's had issues)....

Will the 5R110 "torqueshift" mate up to a 2004 5.4 F150 4x4?

Do I need to use the super duty's transfer case?

If so what other components? shorter rear drive shaft, longer front? or visa versa?

Will the computer accept a new program?

Given the lack of low-end/off-idle torque and the shear wieght of the 05-08 F150, I believe the extra spliting of gears would greatly help in the areas of acceleration and fuel economy. So is it possible?

Oh, and before the economists start in on me, please just leave the issue of cost out of your replies. Just about everything we do now a days is more expensive than just settling with something mediocer.

dirtyd0g 05-04-2007 07:49 PM

I suggest finding a wrecked 250 with your engine and 4wd with the same wheelbase and getting the parts from it. I have not done this swap. That is the only way i would. I think it would be alot easier to build the 4r70/4r75 you have.
Alan

adrianspeeder 05-04-2007 07:59 PM

Basicly no. It would bolt to yer triton and transfer case, but thats about it.

Prolly would need a body lift to clear the cab, driveshafts are a different length too.

Hardest part would be making it all work electrically. Would need to swap out and splice both main harnesses to make the F-150 stuff work with the F-250 computer.

Adrianspeeder

BuyAmerican 05-04-2007 10:08 PM

See, I have to do it now.i can't take being don't i can't do it...

Hell yah! a challenge!!!

I really want to do it. I'm a mechanic by trade... although a diesel/equipment mechanic wher most of my wrenching deals with hydraulics a mechanic none the less. i am confortable with electronics and thanks for the heads up regarding the space issue possible/body lift concern. I'll admit that i am not the worlds best body man so if I have to modify the tunnel I may be seeking help. Splicni in the F250/350 transmission control into the 150 system and still fool OBD2 to not set a code. Now thats a friggin challenge. I'm gonna try it. It I am successful you all will the forst to know.

I'm still gonna gather more information before i dive into this so please answer me this:

bell housing bolt pattern okay?

does the input shaft have to be changed? output shaft...?

I have a trans code "B" (4R75), is the flex plate same as "torqueshift"?

is torque shift a non-mechanical-linkage/electrical solenoid command set-up?

uh? I'll go through some books and look at my truck some more and i should have more questions soon.

Thanks again everyone...

adrianspeeder 05-04-2007 10:12 PM

Yes, bell housing is the same for the 4.6/5.4/6.0/6.8

I dont know on the flexplates, look up part numbers maybe?

The tranny control is in the superdutys computer. I think thats what you'll need to start with harness wise and work backwords with F-150 stuff.

Adrianspeeder

BuyAmerican 05-04-2007 10:35 PM

thank you adrainspeeder,

Im gonna see what I can do. i have access to wiring digrams for both models. Unfortunately the ECM and TCMs are displayed as "solid state devices". Thats just a fancy way of saying the internals of the ecms are not displayed because of intellectual technology reasons and ford doesn't want techs servicing them (if broke replace, no repair). But with the pin number location, control sensors and outputs as well as what controls what i may be able to do something that works. i figure I could make some frankenstien hybrid ecm/tcm ; soder, splice and create some mound of twisted metal and get it to work, get the thing to work and then try to make a cleaner version....

Nevermind I'm just mumbling thoughts out loud. I'll keep ya'll updated...

BuyAmerican 05-04-2007 10:39 PM

Um I shoudl shut the hell up and get the mechanical out of the way first....

BuyAmerican 05-04-2007 11:26 PM

okay, this is gonna sound like a cop out but here goes...

I just went onto gear vendors web site and they have a system for both the 4R70 and 4R75 transmissions. A gear splitter that eccentially gives you an 8-speed trans (4 gears split) and also gives you a 0.55:1 O/D gear. thsi kit mounts to the rear of the transfer case so no modification is neccasary other than the replacing the rear shaft with a shorter unit. It only works in 2wd but in all honesty when do you need over drive (.71:1 or .55:1) when offroading? Cost for the unit is $2900 un-installed and without a drive shaft but I was ultimately looking for more gears to shorten up the wide range between each forward gear as well as get better gas mileage.

So I'm gonna make some calls, find out more, and this thread could prolly be removed. I think Gear vendors is gonna make a better option that the intensly involved and complicated version i proposed earlier.

Sorry for gettin yours and my hopes up....

Lumadar 05-05-2007 12:15 AM

wow, I've never heard of such a thing. Would it really be the same as having an 8 speed tranny? What about gear hunting? Will the computer know what to do?

BuyAmerican 05-05-2007 01:07 AM

Check it out for yourself...

http://www.gearvendors.com/

If you're familiar with big-rigs/tractor trucks they have trans with a high and low range auxilary system. It eccentially changes the output of the trans mission by adding another gear behind it. One is a direct drive so all of the original trans gearing is there. There is also a over drive or an under drive if you prefer, that changes the output of the trans to the axle(s). Its pretty simple. its technology thats been around for years but is extremely effective.

As far as gear hunting or irractic shifting the ECm still controls your original trans shifting if you put it in "D". You have to change the range manually via a button that chages the gear-vendor unit electronically through solenoids and relays, and stuff...

heres how you use it;

1)Put gear selector in "1" (1st gear),
2)Push button in "1" (1st gear over driven by .78:1),
3)put gear selector in "2" (2nd gear, G.V. system in 1:1),
4)push button in "2" (2nd gear over driven by .78:1),
5)put selector in "D" ("D" = direct drive and G.V. at 1:1= engine speed is equal to drive shaft speed)
6)Push G.V. button ("D" over driven to .78:1)
7)push the factory/OEM O/D button (G.V. in 1:1= 0.70:1)
8)push G.V. to split OEM O/D (eccentially over driving over drive= 0.55:1)

8 forward speeds....
as a matter a fact it will split reverse too!!!

I've seen and heard of these units before. Gear Vendor claims a 500hp capacity. Not sure of the torque capacity though.

Check it out...

adrianspeeder 05-05-2007 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Lumadar
wow, I've never heard of such a thing. Would it really be the same as having an 8 speed tranny? What about gear hunting? Will the computer know what to do?

Pretty much 8 speeds, but I think it works out that two of the combos work out to be the same thing or very close so it's realistically not a full 8 different speeds.

Similar in idea to the 5R110 being a six speed, but two gears are very close and the computer switches between which gets used depending on temperature.

The GV has it's own computer and the stock computer will never know.

Originally Posted by BuyAmerican
8)push G.V. to split OEM O/D (eccentially over driving over drive= 0.55:1)

Super overdrive! :banana:

Thats the other thing though, the 5R110's shifter display is PRN(D)321 with a tow haul lockout button. No way to lock out "(D)" from "D".

Adrianspeeder

Jay Rydre 02-06-2019 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by adrianspeeder (Post 2626498)
Basicly no. It would bolt to yer triton and transfer case, but thats about it.

Prolly would need a body lift to clear the cab, driveshafts are a different length too.

Hardest part would be making it all work electrically. Would need to swap out and splice both main harnesses to make the F-150 stuff work with the F-250 computer.

Adrianspeeder

Actually, wouldn't a stand alone transmission controller ensure proper function of the trans?

Mark Kovalsky 02-06-2019 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jay Rydre (Post 5247028)
Actually, wouldn't a stand alone transmission controller ensure proper function of the trans?

I doubt that he waited 12 years for your reply.

In theory, yes, that would be the way to do it. The reality is that nobody makes a stand alone controller that can control a 5R110W TorqShift transmission.

Jay Rydre 02-08-2019 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky (Post 5247045)
I doubt that he waited 12 years for your reply.

In theory, yes, that would be the way to do it. The reality is that nobody makes a stand alone controller that can control a 5R110W TorqShift transmission.

Well, someone did.... LOL!!!

glc 02-08-2019 05:00 PM

The reality is that nobody makes a stand alone controller that can control a 5R110W TorqShift transmission.
Here's one:

https://www.powertraincontrolsolutio...on_Controller/