Good TQ Converter Stall

Old 05-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good TQ Converter Stall

Hi I was looking into getting a new TQ converter and i was wondering what a good stall speed would be for my truck because i have 35" tires i was thinking a higher stall would be better maybe?? 97 5.4 THANKS

Old 05-02-2007, 08:30 PM
You'll need to give more information for a stall recommendation. What do you use the truck for and what does it weigh. Do you want to race,tow,cruise? That truck probably has a very low stall even a standard 4.6 converter would make a huge change. The 4.2 converters are even higher stall than that.
Alan

Old 05-03-2007, 12:37 PM
u can find rebuilt and brazed converters on ebay that are stock just stalled higher and built stronger thats what i am running now paid about 210 for it and its holding up well. a larger converter holds more fluid and runs cooler. the small ones like TCI are strong but get really hot!

Old 05-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Faster150
u can find rebuilt and brazed converters on ebay that are stock just stalled higher and built stronger thats what i am running now paid about 210 for it and its holding up well. a larger converter holds more fluid and runs cooler. the small ones like TCI are strong but get really hot!
If you just want fully brazed get one from a 4r75 They are all fully brazed. The clutch is the key. You need a place daring enough to replace the crappy grooved paper lining with a woven type high carbon graphite lining. TCI converters are now, always have been and as far as I can tell always will be crap. Cheap junk they throw together so they can sell it to summit and summit make as much money on it as them. A small converter with a strong enough clutch will not have the heat issues. Most small converters have a weak clutch. I'd get more technical and throw down a bunch of pictures and real converter tech, but around here i'd get accused of advertising.
Alan

Old 05-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Thanks alot for the feedback I actually have no idea how much my truck weighs but im sure its on the heavier side and im mostly going to use it for cruising but some towing.I also found some converters on ebay which led my to this site http://www.roadrunnerconverters.com/products.htm where i was looking at the towing performance converter what do you guys think??? does it look like a dependable peice? THANKS

Old 05-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... PRECISION INDUSTRIES......................

Old 05-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Neal
HI!... PRECISION INDUSTRIES......................

You say precision industries would you care to elaborate. What diameter and combination would you use? Does precision industries recommend towing on that? Wouldn't want to void the warranty by doing something that is not suggested like locking up a single plate or towing on a high stall converter.
Alan

Old 05-04-2007, 12:06 PM
PI converters are very expensive... lol

Old 05-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by Faster150
PI converters are very expensive... lol
In the converter world you will get what you pay for. The cost of steel and cores is very high. If it's cheap there is a reason for it. PI does not recommend towing on their converters however. It all depends on how you use your truck. I'm a bit of a redneck to me a truck I can't tow with might as well be a car.
Alan

Old 05-04-2007, 04:34 PM
I've got a question, when you change the fluid the way that repair manuals suggest in your transmission, does the fluid from your torque converter get changed too? How does the fluid get out of there? Or does it? Seems like a major pain in the *** to have to remove the torque converter every time you change the fluid in the tranny.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by The Flow-Master
I've got a question, when you change the fluid the way that repair manuals suggest in your transmission, does the fluid from your torque converter get changed too? How does the fluid get out of there? Or does it? Seems like a major pain in the *** to have to remove the torque converter every time you change the fluid in the tranny.
In many applications the converter has a drain plug that you can drain it. I install them whenever possible.
Alan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good TQ Converter Stall