wont go into 4hi or 4lo (i think)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wont go into 4hi or 4lo (i think)

(i know its long but please bare with me) i have a 97 f150 xlt with a manual 4x4 shifter. today i wanted to test the articulation on my truck. so i drove up a rock pile and my rear wheels started to slip so i bAcked off and shifted into 4 hi no light indication but i heard the usual clunk of it going into 4hi. so i drove back up the rock pile again. i got to the same spot and my rear wheels slipped my buddy said niether front wheels were turning so i went back in the parking lot shifting back and forth between 2,and 4 but almost every time i herd the clicking thene the clunk but there was no light. so i did some tight turns with it in 4 hi and i didnt feel any front wheel jerk. so i went into 4lo it definebly was in the low gear but still the fronts wernt engaging. just my 4x4 light shows when i start the truck i dont know if the low range should cuz mine never does. so if anybody has hade this problem or knows whats wrong please tell. thank you

Old 04-24-2007, 12:50 AM
I actually started to have the problem where it would get stuck in 4WD and refuse to return to 2WD. This happened on and off for a year and then it got stuck permanently in 4WD lo. I had to get the front motor removed. I was told that it was the PCM that was malfunctioning and should get it replaced; haven't gotten around to that yet though!

Old 04-24-2007, 07:57 AM
what is the pcm

Old 04-24-2007, 08:35 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Powertrain control modual, which controls the electric shift transfer case as well as everything else, except a manual shift. Different deal altogether for the transfer case.

Lock it in 4high or 4low in park and see if you can turn the front driveshaft by hand.

dreamsr, look through this thread and post yer questions there. It's a seperate issue from a manual shift truck. Let's try to keep the confusion down.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...17#post2597617

Adrianspeeder

Old 04-26-2007, 04:34 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Unless the shift linkage is fubar'd a manual t-case will go in to 4 wheel drive. If the indicator lights are off then there is something wrong with the circuit. Pull the connector for the 4x4 mode switch on the t-case and short one of the terminals to ground. One of the lights should turn on. Short the other wire to ground and the other light should turn on. If they do, the switch on the t-case is defective. The switch is located on the front of the t-case near where the linkage on the t-case is.

JMC

Old 04-26-2007, 07:36 PM
I don't have a question Adrian, however I never read that he had a manual transmission.

Quick Reply: wont go into 4hi or 4lo (i think)