93 F-150 SWB RC XL 4x4 300/ 5spd Upgrade Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 F-150 SWB RC XL 4x4 300/ 5spd Upgrade Questions

Is the transmission/ transfer case combo for this generation of F-150
(light-duty (?) XL) known for being weak? I have been told several times that these are "Mazda" parts with weak (urethane?)components. I replaced both the transmission and transfer case in this truck a year ago, after the t-case died a high-pitched, screechy death in Southern Minnesota one evening. Upon removing the t-case and transmission, I found out that the clutch was a dusty corpse, the trans gears were pretty much rubbed out and the whole trans case was full of metal shavings. I do not want to go through that experience again, and I think 4 high might be starting to fail. I would like to upgrade to a stronger trans/ t-case setup, but keep my 300. I only use the 4 wheel drive in the winter and on muddy roads (not for fun), so I don't need a $10,000 rock crawler package. I don't pull a camper or a boat. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

JB

Old 04-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the t-case; it's the same one that was used behind PowerStrokes - the BW1356. Its biggest flaw is the pump arm - over a LONG time, it'll rub through the rib inside the t-case that keeps it from spinning, which is probably what happened to your original. Look at the lower L of this diagram:

The Mazda M5OD-R2 (LD) is known to leak from the shifter, and when the fluid gets low or old, the trans eats itself. But if it's maintained, it'll survive quite a while.

So just follow the normal maintenance schedule & they'll last longer than you want to keep the truck.

Quick Reply: 93 F-150 SWB RC XL 4x4 300/ 5spd Upgrade Questions