Starting Problem

Old 11-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting Problem

It just got cold here in Las Vegas and I went out to my car and tried to start my truck and was greeted with a cranking but no turn over.

I read some quick things to do on my phone and it said to put it in neutral and try.

Well the truck started.

I could however smell some fumes coming from the back end when i got out to check.

I was wondering:

I have read some things about the Neutral Safety Switch going bad, I personally thought it was the fuel pump, but is there anything that I can do to prevent this in the future or are there any suggestions out there to check what the actual problem might be so I'm not just replacing parts.

Thanks
Chris

Old 11-19-2011, 09:02 PM
If the neutral safety switch is failing, you will be able to start it in neutral just as you stated. You probably smelt fuel from cranking it and it ran rich for a second when you started it in neutral.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
If it cranked, there is nothing wrong with the DTR sensor (correct name for the "neutral safety switch").

Only the starter circuit goes through that switch.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:46 AM
^ Correct. I mispoke. If the DTR is bad, when you turn the key, your lights on the dash will light up, but nothing will happen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starting Problem