2000 F-150 AT shifting problems

Old 09-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2000 F-150 AT shifting problems

Hi. New to the site. Was wondering if anyone could shed some light on a transmission problem I'm experiencing. Had the truck since new. Transmission seems to slip or disengage when shifting from 2nd to 3rd when rpm's are in the 2500 range. If I accelerate at a slower pace the shift point for 2-3 is around 2100 rpm and it will shift without slipping/disengaging. The transmission has however seemed to develope a harsh shift in each gear. Once the transmission is in gear, it doesn't slip or come out of gear. I am guilty of never having the transmission serviced since new. Would just a fluid and filter change possibly fix the problem? I'm planning on taking the truck in for a transmission service, but would like some input from some members here to get a little educated before I go. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Is your check engine light on?

Did you run codes?

Ford's seem to be very sensitive to voltage. Clean your battery terminals.

It is always a good idea to do filter changes when you get some mileage on the tranny. However, you may be pissing your $$ away if a tranny shop has to crack it open later.

I have found Trans-X and Lucas Tranny Stop Slip to do wonders on Auto trannys in the past for various problems. You could add a bottle of Trans X to the mix and see if it helps (give it a little time(

Old 09-07-2006, 08:26 PM
My check engine light is not on. I do have an "ABS" light on - should be unrelated to the transmission, correct?

I have not ran any codes.

I will check the battery terminals and clean if necessary.

Something else to mention is this problem arose after I added a bottle of Lucas Oil fuel treatment to my fuel tank during the last fillup. After one day of driving with the treatment added, the engine developed a skip for about five minutes. I figured the treatment had loosened some grime in the fuel system and paritally clogged a fuel injector. I first let off the gas and slowed probably 15mph. Then I gradually increased my speed, loading the engine a little at the time without downshifting. The skip came back so I slowed again. Next I floored the gas pedal in an attempt to clear it out. It worked and the engine hasn't skipped again and seems to be running fine as far as I can tell. Later that same day the transmission began acting like it is now, which has been about a week.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your input, Mighty Mouse....

Old 09-08-2006, 09:08 AM
Anyone?

Old 09-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Have you checked the trans fluid level? What color is the fluid? Dark or light? Smell burned?

Just a couple easy things to check, first.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:15 PM
I have pulled the stick to check the fluid level. The color is red and doesn't look dark. Also it didn't smell burned.

The fluid level lands right on the "T" where the stick reads "HOT" with the engine running at normal temperature in park. There is a textured area above where the level is currently. Should I add fluid to top it off?

Old 09-08-2006, 03:22 PM
I would add either Lucas anti-sip or Trans-X until you get to the full HOT line. . .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 F-150 AT shifting problems