More Clutch and Tranny probs in my 91 f150

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Clutch and Tranny probs in my 91 f150

Hey all, I posted a thread a while back on my clutch pedal dropping to the floor (in quotes below). Lots of good suggestions, and I was able to get the clutch pedal to go back to its normal position after topping up with fluid, but now I can't get the bugger in reverse (it just grinds). I'd hate to think my tranny was shot, as I hope its only the clutch... or less, but I have no idea whats going on... anyone?

Previous post - "Having an issue with my 91 F150. As I was coming home today, the tranny started to make a very quiet noise (5 speed manual tranny). As I got off the freeway, I realized my clutch pedal had sunk almost all the way to the the floor. I was actually able to continue to use the clutch, but it only has about a 1/2 inch of travel. Very strange, as if a spring somewhere had broken, but I am able to still shift into all the gears, its just that the clutch pedal dropped. Any ideas?"

Old 04-24-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by Mondomo
Hey all, I posted a thread a while back on my clutch pedal dropping to the floor (in quotes below). Lots of good suggestions, and I was able to get the clutch pedal to go back to its normal position after topping up with fluid, but now I can't get the bugger in reverse (it just grinds). I'd hate to think my tranny was shot, as I hope its only the clutch... or less, but I have no idea whats going on... anyone?

Previous post - "Having an issue with my 91 F150. As I was coming home today, the tranny started to make a very quiet noise (5 speed manual tranny). As I got off the freeway, I realized my clutch pedal had sunk almost all the way to the the floor. I was actually able to continue to use the clutch, but it only has about a 1/2 inch of travel. Very strange, as if a spring somewhere had broken, but I am able to still shift into all the gears, its just that the clutch pedal dropped. Any ideas?"

i've had some 5 speed problems like that,but a lot worse and i ended up having to sell my truck, i had to bleed my system to get it to stop grinding,and to make the pedal come back, but i don't know much about your truck b/c i haven't seen it but all i can tell ya is to put it in 2nd and then reverse to see if it helps( i know my old truck never grinded reverse and the only time it did when was the pedal wasn't coming fully up)....thats what i'm doing to the 4 speed so it doesn't grind....keep posting with info and some of the big boys will help you

Old 04-24-2006, 09:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can you put it in any gear but reverse?

if so the reverse syncro gear (brass ring) is shot...

...zap!

Old 04-24-2006, 09:44 PM
Try what inline said. Put it in 2nd or 3rd and then shift to reverse. If it still grinds, you're gonna have to pull it apart. Putting it in one of those gears will slow things down and allow an easier shift. My mustang used to be like that with first. Always had to go to second, then to first.

Old 04-25-2006, 08:26 AM
Arrow

I auctually had that same prob a few years ago.. .. .I owned a 95 F150 4x4 and had noticed that the tranny was making a little noise. . . ignored it for a while but then got worse and worse, making it hard to get it into one of the gears.. . . can't remember which one it was now. Had to pull the tranny out and replace the sync for that gear and all better!!

Good luck. Now I'm not sure what that would have to do with your clutch besides it sounds like you were pretty low on fluid. Just talking about your difficulty getting it into reverse!!

Old 04-27-2006, 12:17 PM
One of the first symptoms of a clutch going out is having trouble going into first and reverse. If the other gears are okay then your clutch is not disengauging fully, the trans is not spinning down, and it is hard on the syncros if it has been doing it for a long time.

WV

Old 04-27-2006, 12:49 PM
i guess that is whats happening with my truck, gotta get some cash flow going...thanks for the info wv

Quick Reply: More Clutch and Tranny probs in my 91 f150