Flashing OD light

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flashing OD light

I just got back from the tranny shop. I have a flashing OD light. It clears itself with I shut down and start up. The light will start to flash again when I get up on the highway at a steady speed of 65-75mph and then back off the throttle.
This is the exact diagnosis the shop gave me. Codes in memory-P0503;P1500....Vehicle speed sensor is OK, VSS wiring OK... Has problem with Cruise Control Servo
Does this have anything to do with the Recall? Where is the Cruise control Servo?
1998 F-150 Extracab 4.6ltre 4x4
I haven't gone for the recall becuase the dealership did'nt have the parts yet. Anyhelp would be much appreciated.
Rob

Old 02-17-2006, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by RAF8838
I just got back from the tranny shop. I have a flashing OD light. It clears itself with I shut down and start up. The light will start to flash again when I get up on the highway at a steady speed of 65-75mph and then back off the throttle.
This is the exact diagnosis the shop gave me. Codes in memory-P0503;P1500....Vehicle speed sensor is OK, VSS wiring OK... Has problem with Cruise Control Servo
Does this have anything to do with the Recall? Where is the Cruise control Servo?
I haven't gone for the recall becuase the dealership did'nt have the parts yet. Anyhelp would be much appreciated.
Rob
If you do a search you will hind lots of information on the flashing OD light. Try searching with the memory codes they gave you. You will be amazed at the amount of information you will find.

Old 03-11-2006, 03:48 PM
[QUOTE=RAF8838]I just got back from the tranny shop. I have a flashing OD light. It clears itself with I shut down and start up. The light will start to flash again when I get up on the highway at a steady speed of 65-75mph and then back off the throttle.
I haven't gone for the recall becuase the dealership did'nt have the parts yet. Anyhelp would be much appreciate

Hello Again,
I finally got my truck in for the recall. The cruise control works fine now but I still have the od light flashing. I picked up a vss and put it in to no avail light still flashing. It does't start flashing until I going at least 65 -75 mph.
There is no shifting problems upshifts and downshifts no problem just a flashing od light.
Rob

Old 03-12-2006, 08:27 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
You will have to pull the codes to see why the O/D light is blinking.

Once you have the codes, post them or just perform a SEARCH using the code(s) as your keyword.

Steve

Old 03-12-2006, 11:20 PM
i had the same problem on my 97, replaced the vss about 3 times, the gear in the tailshaft, sensor on the pumpkin. Got the same codes everytime.

From what i gathered it kept saying vss failure, it led me to believe that the wiring was frayed or disconnected somewhere.

Old 03-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
The codes 'donot' tell you what parts are faulty.
Trying to repair on this basis often costs more money than getting the right and all diagnostics for final repairs.

Old 03-14-2006, 04:50 AM
if you get the tranny codes pulled and it says 'VSS failure" i think that a pretty good indication that particular part(s) is no good. Thats why my tranny was throwing when i had my 97 with blinking o/d light.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:23 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by 97f150f/s
if you get the tranny codes pulled and it says 'VSS failure" i think that a pretty good indication that particular part(s) is no good. Thats why my tranny was throwing when i had my 97 with blinking o/d light.

If the PCM says it's having trouble getting the proper signal from a sensor, the complete system has to be considered for possible reasons for the fault.

In this case, the possibilities include the PCM, the wiring harness, the mechanical drive gears, and yes, the VSS.

Just replacing a sensor because there is a PCM code related to it will, in the long run, cost you more time and money that will properly diagnosing the fault properly using the DTC and symptoms as your starting point. Perhaps you got lucky on your first try. Just wait until it's a hard one - you'll find that being a "parts-swapper" isn't very effective.

Steve

Old 03-14-2006, 08:31 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
...Just replacing a sensor because there is a PCM code related to it will, in the long run, cost you more time and money that will properly diagnosing the fault properly using the DTC and symptoms as your starting point. Perhaps you got lucky on your first try. Just wait until it's a hard one - you'll find that being a "parts-swapper" isn't very effective.

Steve
You ain't just whistling Dixie, Steve.
I've been down that road in my BMW and in a BMW that's an expensive trip.

Final Score - Frayed wiring harness.

But what the hell, I got a brand new $1800 catalytic converter out of the deal.

Last edited by Raoul; 03-14-2006 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Full disclosure of my stoopidity
Old 04-28-2006, 08:24 AM
In the interest of helping others and to illustrate that it can be more than just a sensor, I want to share my experience. First, there is no speed sensor in the transmission for a 1995 F150, it relies on the sensor in the differential. I had already picked up the ABS sensor for the differential in the hopes that replacing it would correct the issue (interestingly enough, advance auto parts did not carry it but NAPA did). I replaced the sensor with no difference (still no speedometer, ABS light on). I then began tracing the wiring and lo and behold I found that the wire was cut in two! It appears from the shape of the wire loom that it had been rubbing against the shock absorber for some time and finally cut the wire.

A quick solder splice, dielectric grease and taping and all is well with the world again.

Thanks again to the forum as it got my in the right area for the sensor and the problem.

Powells_F150
1995 Ford F150

Quick Reply: Flashing OD light