auto to manual?

Old 12-12-2005, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auto to manual?

i have a 97 4.2 v6 with a 4R70W. i was wonderin how hard it would be to swap in a manual out of a 97-99 F150. do i have to get one off of another v6 or can it come off a v8? does any body know what all this will entail (vss sensor? new driveshaft? what about the computer and timing issues?) any help would be great . thanks.

Old 12-14-2005, 04:19 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You will need the pedals and the tranny from a 4.2. The V8s use a different Bellhousing bolt pattern. The PCM will set codes becasue it will be looking for input from the auto tranny. You will need a flywheel and clutch along with the hydraulic clutch system, slave, tubing, mastercylinder and resevoir. I cannot comment on the tranny mount nor the drive shaft. You will have to adjust as you go along. Don't forget the tranny wire harness. it should come with any sensors but you should get the same year as your engine jsut to be sure of the sensors. I do believe that the manuals from your year picked up the speed signal from the tranny tail housing sensor and not the diff. That is why I recommend the same model year.
JMC

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: auto to manual?