How much????

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much????

Hey all, I'm a newbie. I was wondering if someone could tell me the price of a rebuilt transmission for a 1997 F-150 XL 4.2 4x2. I am buying my brother's truck. He took excellent care of it and has never had any problems except a water pump keiling over. The only work it needs is either a new transmission or some rebuilding. It isn't bad right now, but it probably will be if we don't fix it now. Does anyone know how much a new tranny installed costs, v.s. having the existing tranny repaired? Just ballpark estimate is all I need. I cannot get a straight answer from anyone. I know 20 mechanics and they all say different estimates. So I was wondering if someone on here has ever had it done before. Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 10-29-2004, 06:33 PM
It's all going to depend on what you buy,where you buy it what year it is, so many things. To have it done average probably cost you about $1500. I'd suggest having a good $100 cooler thrown on too. If you get someone who is just going to replace what is broken and not update anything you might get it done for $1200.
To get someone good to put you in a well built transmission you'll probably spend over $2000.
You can buy a New transmission usually for less than having one rebuilt. Expect to pay about $1000 for a new late model unit. It may require some conversion that could cost an extra $200
Then labor to install it by someone who know how to do it(conversion).
Alan

Old 10-29-2004, 07:33 PM
Thanks Alan! I was talking to a mechanic I know and he said the same thing you told me. I'm having everything rebuilt or remanufactured (if needed) just to be on the safe side. I don't want to spend all this money on a tranny and find out I got a leak somewhere, or something. Thanks again