1996 150 "jerking"

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1996 150 "jerking"

I have a 1996 F150 with an automatic transmission. While driving it one day going about 60 mph, the truck started jerking like it was losing rmps. After about a minute, the speedo dropped, so a pulled over. I shut off the truck, waited a few minutes and started it back up and it drove fine.

This problem only happens occasionally and every time it happens, I just restart the truck and every thing seems to run fine.

I just had my tranny flushed not too long ago and I put in a fuel filter in the past couple of weeks.

If someone knows what is going on with my truck, please help me.

Thank you

Thank you CXI for responding to my post. To further elaporate on my problem, It only happens occasionally when I am driving and it does happen to both tanks.

Last edited by rydberg2; 10-14-2004 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:47 PM
CXI
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When this happens are you in the process of getting up to 60, have you been travelling steady at 60, or are you in the process of slowing down from 60? Does it happen every time you are near that speed or can you travel at that speed for without a problem most of the time?

It could be fuel related, especially for the first case: pump pressure, injectors, etc. Do you have dual tanks? Does it only happen on one of them?

If it happens as you slow down: I had a car once that had a sensor go bad that was responsible for kicking the transmission out of over drive. Needless to say this stalled the engine as I was slowing down, but it would "fix" itself after stopping and waiting a minute or two. I'm not sure if Ford transmissions work the same way. Someone else will have to chime in about that, but does it seem to be OD related?

Quick Reply: 1996 150 "jerking"