Is the 5 speed crap?

Old 06-27-2001, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Is the 5 speed crap?

I keep reading about people having problems with the five speed transmission.

I’ll be taking delivery of my truck in August. It will have the 4.6 and a 5 spd. I’m getting worried because I keep seeing people with problems with theirs, and these problems are occurring with low mileage.

If it’s guaranteed to be a crap tyranny, and I’m going to nothing but trouble with it then should I still take delivery?

I really love reading on this board but dam all the stuff I read makes me nervous. Does everyone have problems?

So far the most common problems that bother me are:

Head gasket leak on the passenger side on the 4.6
Rear whine in the 3.55
Door crack (supposed to be fixed in the 01’s)
CD player being a piece of crap
Synchro problem on 5 speed
Cheap shifter **** on 5 speed
Gear grinding between shifts on 5 speed

I’m gonna be so damn nervous when I pick this truck up because I’ll be looking for all of these things when I test-drive it.

Does anybody understand what I’m talking about? Are there any similar trucks out there that don’t have any of these problems?

The truck:

Black 01, f-150, 4x4, XLT, Sport, 4.6, 5 spd., regular cab, short bed, bed cover, side steps

Old 06-27-2001, 04:48 PM
I have about 20000 miles on mine and I have had no trouble what so ever. In my opinion it seems to be pretty good.

------------------
2000 XLT 4X4 super cab,
4.6, 5spd

Old 06-27-2001, 05:20 PM
I think the "Synchro problem" and the "Gear grinding between shifts" are the same thing. The only time I have trouble with mine is when I drive it like a sports car. Then it reminds me that it's really a truck!

------------------
2000 XL 4.6 5spd 2WD reg-cab long-box 3.55 LS 265/75/16 Chestnut (not 2-tone) Raven-Cap (and a '66 GTO with a '73 455, both combined cost less than a Lightning )

Old 06-27-2001, 05:40 PM
Question

SCAdien,
What do you mean by "drive it like a sports car”?

If that means shifting fast, then that still worry's me because I want to shift fast sometimes, that's why I got the 5 speed, for better performance.

I've had manual trucks and sports cars in the past and I drove them all the same.

What's the fun if you can shift fast when you want to?

Old 06-27-2001, 06:29 PM
Thumbs up

My F150 has about 22,000 miles. I have had no problems, aside from a door crack that I wouldn't have even knoticed if I hadn't heard about it here.

The (M5R2-C) transmission in the F150 is pretty good, I think. It is first and for most a truck transmission. I think it feels solid.
For me, speed shifting is taking a bit to get used to. The shifter throw is a bit long. The clutch has a bit of travel too. In
my case it's the combiation of these two things that make me grind second gear.I have a tendency to let out the clutch a second to early. I have never had it grind at any time other than a couple of times
"driving like a sports car".

'Sport, I think you will be able to have your truck do what you want it to. It is not really built for speed but it is deffinitly capable.
I am quite happy with my truck. I just try to find ways to work with what I've got. I would love to be driving a Mustang Cobra R, however the truck fits into the budget a lot better.
Tom

------------------

'98 F150 XLT,short bed, STX appearance group, 4.6, 5-speed.
Current mods: K&N air filter, cat back exhaust (Flowmaster 40 w/dual rear side exit), Superchip.
Future mods: short throw shifter, K&N FIPK, lowered suspension, other things seen here!

Old 06-28-2001, 08:52 AM
Smile

Thank you for your responses, I feel a little better now.

Old 06-28-2001, 08:59 AM
By "sports car" I mean that I have to take a little care to line it up going into third. If I make a fast diagonal push from 2 to 3 I get a grind. If I take the care to make sure the shifter is in position to push it straight foreward into 3rd it's fine. I've also had it grind and not engage a couple of times on a real fast down shift from 5 to 4.

I've driven a stick for years (this my third vehicle with one) but I'm not exactly an expert. I've never gotten the hang of "speed shifting" without the clutch. However, when I had my del Sol I NEVER heard a gear grind.

Old 06-28-2001, 09:03 AM
Smile

I have 82k km's or 51k miles on mine and still haven't had a problem yet. Ditto on what the these guys posted. (automatic - latin word for uncoordinated & spastic)

Update
Well, looks like the clutch master cylinder is starting to go. Fluid was black so I replaced the fluid and bled the line. Now it squeeks when I use the clutch, plus it still mushy. $178 for a new cylinder? What the h**l? Can't anyone make a truck that doesn't need constant repairs?

Last edited by 2wise4aGM; 07-31-2001 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-28-2001, 09:09 AM
Smile

Thanks SCAdien,

I understand what your saying now. I had an 88 Mustang GT a few years back and if you weren't careful and shifting accurately it too would grind. After a while though I got used to it and rarely had trouble.

I also understand about having one that is perfect. I had a 91 Mazda MX6 with a 5 speed and I never missed a gear or ground it. That tranny was the best I heave ever used.

Thanks for the response, I have a better understanding now of why people are grinding the gears. I guess you just have to take your time and make sure your accurate with the shifts and clutch release.

Old 06-28-2001, 10:27 AM
I don't think every 5sp will have the problems with the synchros, although mine did. All in all, i find the tranny to be quite reliable, and my only real complaints are that the throw is quite long. Maybe because the shifter itself is over 2' long.

77,000km on mine, and if i had to do it all over again, i still wouldn't get an auto-magic. Just drive one - they are awful!

Bambino

------------------
Bambino Photo Gallery
1999 reg cab/short box/ORP/Silver on Dk Graphite - 3.55; 4.6l 5sp; Factory Tonneau; 40 chan CB/Maxrad Antenna; Kicker amp'd sub tubes; Rockford Fosgate components up front; Custom Exhaust; Mobil 1 5w30/Motorcraft FL820s; Amsoil Series 2k in the driveline.

Old 06-28-2001, 10:28 AM
i think the main reason people are griding the gears is that they are just shifting too quickly and sloppily... this transmission is definately clunky and i dont think it was designed to be banged through the gears. the only time i've ever ground it was when i let up on the clutch before i had shifted into second. the few times that i've shifted quickly i havent heard any protest (i always use the clutch though, i dont think speedshifting is a good idea)...

in comparason, the civiv i used to have shifted very smootly normally but when it was cold it would NOT go into revers without double-clutching and would very often not go into first either. also the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts ground a bit when shifted quickly, and again... i've never shifted without the clutch.

also, i test drove a 2001 integra gs-r (after i saw that ricer movie) to see if it was fast (it was slow as crap) and its brand new honda transmission ground when i shifted quickly to second... felt exactly like my civic.

well, i only have 5000 miles on my truck, but so far i'm happy with the transmission and when driven correctly (i.e. no speedshifting) i think its a fine transmission. but if it craps out on me after the warranty is out i think i'll see about putting a tremec t-5 from a mustang in... my roomate has one in his 83 camaro and it handles all the torque you can throw at it... the only problem is that its not a truck transmission and it would require going to 4.10 gears just to have the same speed/rpm as i do now with the r2/3.55... anyway, hope this helps...

------------------
2001 F-150 XL SWB
4.2L 5-spd, 3.55
-----------------
Other Cars:
2001 F-150 SuperCrew (Dad's) XLT, 5.4L, Towing Package w/wrong radiator.
1994 Honda Civic DX Hatchback, 1.5L, 5-spd. Shared it with my sister in high school... recently totaled when she was driving with only 1 contact lens in.
1983 Chevy Camaro (Roomate's) 383 Stroker, Tremec T-5, 4.10, AFR Heads, Edelbrock Intake, custom cam, etc... ~500 hp (not quite built yet)
1997 Saturn SL(ow) (Girlfriend's) Breaks down alot... also equipped with firestone death-tires as we found out a couple of weeks ago while going 75 mph... luckily she managed to pull it off the highway safely.

University of Texas at Austin, Class of 2001

Old 06-28-2001, 10:36 AM
Hey Bambino,

Your truck is almost identical to the one I'm getting. How do you like it? Is it fast at all?

Your picture link didn't work.

Thanks too 1493

Old 06-28-2001, 11:19 AM
Just a note to JRM, I can assure you that the synchros going out in my 12,000 mile new tranny had nothing to do with "sloppy" shifting or driving it wrong. From what I have read, and based on my observations here and discussions with the service techs at Ford, the 5 speed transmission DOES in fact have a higher than average occurrance of this issue, driving habits notwithstanding.

BTW- What is "double-clutching?"

[This message has been edited by ph119 (edited 06-28-2001).]

Old 06-28-2001, 02:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 32000 on my 5 speed without a glitch. I to have ground when shifting to 2nd but is because I was letting the clutch out too fast. I think they are pretty reliable once you realize it is a truck with a football field shifter throw. And double clutching is pushing the clutch in, shifting to N then letting the clutch out then pushing it back in and shifting to the gear you want. Almost mandatory for non syncro trannies and it helps when down shifting two gears....like 5 to 3.

Old 06-28-2001, 02:56 PM
2001 F150 Sport,

it should be working now - i noticed that it was down earlier. It's the new photo gallery of the site.

you can also try http://bambino.dhs.org/

I think you are going to love your new truck. I love my reg cab with the 5sp...

Bambino

------------------
Bambino Photo Gallery
1999 reg cab/short box/ORP/Silver on Dk Graphite - 3.55; 4.6l 5sp; Factory Tonneau; 40 chan CB/Maxrad Antenna; Kicker amp'd sub tubes; Rockford Fosgate components up front; Custom Exhaust; Mobil 1 5w30/Motorcraft FL820s; Amsoil Series 2k in the driveline.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the 5 speed crap?