hard downshift

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy hard downshift

F150 V6, automatic, 120,000 miles. Having problem with hard downshifts, especially dropping from overdrive to 3rd. Started to notice this over the past 1000 miles approximately, and seems to be getting worse. Also happens dropping from 3rd to 2nd, but less of a "jolt." These are normal downshifts... acceleration or climbing hill calls for tranny to downshift... not by selecting a different gear via the shift lever. Upshifting still seems very smooth and predictable. Downshift jolt is not very severe, but noticeable. So... am I looking at a new transmission, or is there a better (ie cheaper!!) remedy.

Old 04-21-2004, 10:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first thing to try is to replace the transmission fluid. Here is a procedure to DIY, or take it to a place that can exchange all the fluid, not just drop the pan and replace less than half.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/...hangingatf.php

Your truck has the 4R70W transmission.

Old 04-21-2004, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks casey_1! The DIY fluid exchange instructions are very comprehensive and I'm going to follow them. What do you think my chances are that this will be the fix? There is absolutely no evidence of slipping, grinding, or any "bad" noises in the tranny, and the fact that it grabs hard during downshifting makes me think the clutches are probably in good shape. I know my way around engines, suspension, and brakes pretty good, but very limited experience with automatic transmissions (been inside many motorcycle tranny's over the past 35 years).

Ned

Old 04-21-2004, 08:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ned,

I think that there is a better than even chance that the old fluid is the problem.

Quick Reply: hard downshift